WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Part I: Nest by Tamara's Summer Finds for 2013 -- Setting the Table



Nest by Tamara's 
"Must Haves" 
for Summer 2013 entertaining series, Part I:
setting a pretty summer table  
Check out sources for summer home and entertaining, 
some brick and mortar shops 
while other sources available online.
Speaking of summer entertaining, and in the event you missed it, my Fourth of July dinner with recipes is profiled on page 64 of


 


Traditional Home featured my Greek-inspired Fourth of July dinner in East Hampton
blue and cream is one of my summer favorite combinations: photo from last memorial day. 
Part I: setting a summer table; 
Part II: guest bedrooms; 
Part III: picnics, pool & beach party sources

topping my wish list, these pretty pink vintage dessert plates from BillysBungalow

I love summer.  
Maybe it's the childhood memories of days spent at the beach on Fire Island, or riding bikes until the street lights came on, or hot summer evenings catching fireflies with mason jars.  Whatever it is, summer is my favorite month and a special season to enjoy with family and friends
Entertaining in summer is casual, yet a perfect time to bring style and whimsy into your home.  Take it outside, throw steaks on the grill and whip up a delicious salad using fresh farm stand ingredients, then set a creative table, and you easily have prepared a festive event.  Each year I invest in a few small, cost-effective items to spiff up my home and prepare for summer, and maybe one or two splurges as well.  Here are some new wares I spotted in my extensive design travel this spring.  I curated the list, edited it down to bring you the "best of" with a combination of bargains and splurges.  There is something for everyone on the list to help you have the best summer possible.

 SETTING A SUMMER TABLE
My summer table set with 
Roberta Freymann's Roller Rabbit table and napkin linens.  
my favorite look for Summer 2013 is to set a table 
with pretty colored glass, and combine pottery and accessories 
together to create a warm, inviting space.  
I don't hold back on the creativity for my summer entertaining, 
and layer textures and colors to create a warm and inviting table.


these etched green glasses from Caron's Beach House reminds me of beach glass, 
 quite a bargain as well.
Holland & Sherry's cut glass skull drinking glasses are a bit pricey, but so gorgeous!

for colored glass bargain options, 
I love this glass bottle for setting the table with ready-to-pour water 
by Serena & Lily

speaking of colored glass this wine decanter from 
Thomas Obrien at AeroStudios would add another beautiful color 
to a festive, summer table.  
For bargain prices, look for Thomas O'Brien's home collection at Target.  
a splurge, Hermes'  Les maisons enchantée sets a fantasy table in cream & sepia tone.
Oh, what fun I would have with this collection.

I would probably set the table with those gorgeous Hermes plates then pick up a bunch of Kirkland's tea light votives for a bargain, then mix the colors together for an earthy aesthetic with a little sparkle. 
maybe adding navy napkins from Holland & Sherry's linen napkins
Holland & Sherry's Mr and Mrs Cocktail napkins
 interior designer Sean Smith's lovely shop, Sean Smith home carries 
an eclectic array of items.  
This Rope Cloche will keep your food and precious items bug-free for outdoor dining
ikat napkins from 
add a fun, modern pattern to a summer table
fashion icon Oscar de la Renta brings his sophisticated design sensibility to his tabletop collection.  I plan to stock up on a collection of these stoneware cocktail plates for my summer entertaining
I like to layer varying colors of blue onto a summer table, but not a big fan of melamine tableware, although I see it is very hot this season. However, this casual and inexpensive pottery from West Elm is perfect for casual summer entertaining outdoors.

I'd set all the pretty blue dishes and colored glass on this classic looking table linen from stevenalan

With the blue pottery, and the crisp linen I'd add fun accessories for an interesting look. These bronze spheres from Mecox Gardens would look interesting in a group.
lovely little bronze creatures add whimsy to a table by Malachite shop in New Orleans
gorgeous summer table by Aerin Lauder home collection, Aerin
AERIN collection 
offers many fresh, tabletop pieces.  
Did I mention there is a new store in Southampton this summer, 
Aerin Southampton?  
this pretty tray from haus interiors adds a stylish design to a pretty set table.  Sometimes I put the tray as the centerpiece with a arrangement of flowers on top, then flank candlesticks on either side.
this pom pom throw is a perfect neutral accompaniment to offer your guests to keep them warm when the sun goes down and guests are dining by lit lanterns outdoors
 Serena & Lily.
I like personalizing linens with monograms, 
and it has been popular for awhile but now there are more options and in a variety of price ranges from tabletop accessories to fashion. 

Cocktail napkins and guest towels from Horchow

for casual, paper place mats for the kitchen table,
I am totally over the moon about Hester and Cook's coral reef, 
available in both this yellow or red.

Set against a white tablecloth and bright colored flowers, this jadelite collection from Martha Stewart would make a striking summer table.  The Jadelite is reproduced from the antique versions often seen at auctions and flea markets.
photograph via Martha Stewart
for more sources, please check out 
Nest by Tamara's 
on Pinterest. 
Stop back Friday for Guest Bedroom "Must Haves"
Happy Nesting 
XO Tamara