WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

history, architecture & summer: what does this have to do with a new art exhibit by artist Paulo Laport at Edelman Gallery in NYC?

A beautiful art collection 
created by Brazilian painter, Paulo Laport
is now making it's debut in
136 East 74th Street
New York, New York 10021
212/472-7770

Paulo Laport's collection is on display
until July 13 at Edelman Gallery 

  I had the special privilege of being invited to a preview and luncheon with the gallery owners and the artist at the swanky Edelman Gallery on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.  Asher and Michelle Edelman are gracious hosts and brought me into their gorgeous townhouse, which is chock-filled with contemporary art, for lunch following a tour of their gallery and just days before the opening of artist Paulo Laport's debut in their New York City gallery.

 
 
It was fascinating for our group to walk the gallery and hear from the artist
about his collection
and his artist inspirations and techniques
 

seeing the collection through Laport's eyes
gave me a deeper appreciation for the work 
To me, art can sometimes be an anomaly and while it may be hard to describe, I was touched and left resolute with gallery owner, Asher's poignant words of advice about art.  With all of the knowledge and intellectualizing of art, it was refreshing to hear Asher suggest that we should buy what we love, what moves us.  In a time of art as a commodity this is a guiding force.  Coming from Asher Edelman, an internationally recognized art dealer and collection and founder of the FAE Musee d' Art Contemporain in Lausanne, Switzerland, I was moved by his words of wisdom. Follow your passion, and the rest will follow.  Well, on that note, the work of Paulo Laport moved me.  Abstract art is subjective, yet Laport's works are painterly, layered and ethereal yet earthy at once and reminded me of some very tangible images. 
 

The gallery is exclusively representing the Brazilian painter,
 who has a far reaching reputation throughout Latin American and Europe.  Laport is passionate about his works and diligently explained to us his practice.  The edging and surfaces are complex with mesh-like grids created with brushes and tools.  Laport stretches his own canvas and frames all of his own work as well.
"This slow painting, in which respect is contradictory to the fast-moving modern world, requests of us a perception that I would not call introspective (which would make it sound romantic), but rather immersive (i.e., it requires accurate attention under prolonged exposition)."
art historian Guilherme Bueno,
Director Museum of Contemporary Art and
professor Brazilian Art History School of Visual Arts--Rio de Janeiro.

Born in Rio de Janeiro, Laport was schooled in New York at the Art Students League and Pratt Institute. His paintings have been awarded top honors in many prestigious salons.

 
Now what does all of this have to do with summer and architecture? 
 
After viewing these paintings, I am left with feelings of patina, aged architecture, yet somehow I feel nature as an ever-present imagery in my mind as well.  I think his art would look spectacular in a beautiful Hampton home infused with natural sunlight, soaring ceilings, and maybe overlooking a field of green.  Immediately when I saw the works I thought of grass and fields, and the beautiful and inspiring light that is seen in some unique places I have traveled -- the East End of Long Island, the island of Martha's Vineyard, the Greek Islands, the Amalfi Coast and Gloucester Massachusetts.  All these spots have pure, beautiful unfiltered light seemingly everywhere, so much so that the areas draw artists to their corners of the earth just to capture the light.  Laport's work seems to be centered around capturing and utilizing that same light.

Laport's works bring me back to my visits to Martha's Vineyard.
photograph I took just off the ferry in Oak Bluffs.

and the dunes of Montauk
during a foggy day overlooking the grass to the ocean.
Near me in the Springs of East Hampton where Jackson Pollock and other artists painted, there are slim sections of land where the sleepy bay and sparkling ocean are on either side, creating a perfect place to paint.  Laport's works on paper play with light even against the glass frame in a way that reminds me of the ocean.
I see similar textures in Laport's paintings to this sandy footprint
we captured with our camera while walking on the beach in East Hampton
columns in historic Greek architecture where the layers of plaster shows through to create beautiful varying textures and colors -- this is what I see in the painting above.  
The painting brings back memories of traveling through Italy and Greece and the coliseums and historic architecture.   

the textures seen in Laport's work
remind me of the Greek theatre ruins in Italy
Laport explained he uses completely different techniques and time schedules for his canvas work and works on paper.  




 

some of the pieces and textures remind me of a pastoral setting --
such as this one in Bridgehampton taken by my daughter Gabby on horseback

On the subject of summer and beaches, 
I am looking forward to catching up with Edelman Gallery
when they participate this July in

International Contemporary & Modern Art Fair

July 25 - 29, 2013

 
 A special thank you to Michelle and Asher for a memorable lunch in their beautiful townhouse.  In addition to viewing the exhibit in the gallery, I loved seeing the stunning personal collection in their home displayed in both a sophisticated and playful manner.  This painting by Doug Argue called Genesis truly captivates.  As you look closer every letter in the book of Genesis is represented in the painting in a spatial perspective, which seems to whirl outward from the painting.  This immense piece is the focal point in the Edelman's family dining room and works to highlight the varied collections in their gorgeous home.  Another special thank you to @EdenCayen who brought me into the gallery with her encouraging tweets and artistic musings
Happy Nesting XO