WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

my dining room gets spiffed up!

Maybe it is a little early for spring cleaning, 
but I'm doing a little bit of decorating this spring, tweaking my dining and living room.
Today I hosted an IFDA NY committee meeting 
luncheon in my apartment, so it was perfect timing.
I planned a luncheon for my IFDA friends in my home in order to organize our annual Take A Seat charity chair auction.  As one of three co-chairs of this year's event, we have lots on our agenda.  I hope you can stop by again soon to hear all about his shin dig and our big plans to create one of this spring's most fabulous designer/charity events in New York City. 
  I must admit my design aesthetic is upscale and sophisticated, however, with today's realistic market, my clients like a mixture of items woven into their home reflecting their eclectic lives, and all the while keeping an eye on the budget.    
My friends at Kohls are creating a new collection with chef Bobby Flay and sent me over two sturdy wooden bowls, and just in time for my little party!
My New York City dining room is small (I am not complaining because that is typical for New York apartments), but I do keep in mind that each item I put in the room needs to provide function. The two bowls -- one large and chunky, the other narrow work perfectly with my other dining room accessories.  
the shape of this particular bowl makes it versatile -- I like to serve the silver utensils in it!
~chocolate under a glass cloche~
I'd like to impress you with some ugly "before" photos of my home, but I'm a designer and it was already pretty with this soft tone-on-tone Brunschwig & Fils wallpaper, a Chinoiserie credenza, a Swedish dining table and flanked by antique french chairs, but these carefully selected pieces add that little special something to make it even better.  Layering and editing are two special genius elements of good interior design.  Creating good design is often about that delicate balance, that magical combination.  
We know it works when we see it, right?  
~I added a designer cocktail shaker to 
my  vintage bar cart~
Let me channel that infamous English quote about putting together a successful wedding ensemble...
"Something old, 
something new, 
something borrowed 
something blue
and a silver sixpence in her shoe" 


Speaking of blue, isn't this a lovely Blue Heron statue?  I bought an extra one to include in my upcoming room for April 24's Design On A Dime  Housingworks charity design event. I framed some of my new decoupage art for my Nest by Tamara etsy shop too in the lovely silver frame above.
For the tea luncheon, I order macarons in shades of pink, green and tan from French-owned Payard bakery, but made daily here in New York, and displayed them on my antique silver tea set from London's Piccadilly antique markets.  Maybe we should add "something pistachio" to that quote?!
 ~a designer pillow (in the back) with silver detailing~ 
 pretty cocktail napkins rest upon my 
faux shagreen tray (thanks for the tray SkateModerne).  Do you see the issue of NYC&G magazine?  I wrote a feature article in this issue, and on page 78, where I interview up-and-coming interior designer Michelle Smith in her Greenwich Village home.  

~this new, white painted bottom basket 
adds an unusual touch~  
The delicious and infamous Tea Sandwich Brioche was created and delivered by local caterer,
The Party Box -- 
1/2 roast beef with horseradish and 1/2 cucumer lemon butter -- divine!


~ham, leek & mushroom quiche 
I made in a new pie plate~ 
and, of coures, there's always something old 
 Happy Nesting
XO Tamara