WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

A Beautiful Home in the Art Enclave of Gloucester, Massachusetts For Sale

A Beauty in Gloucester, Massachusetts 
Gets Our Full Attention Today On The Blog.
And, We are Tickled Pink It Is Available For Sale!
6 brier road
Gloucester, Massachusetts
offerered for sale here
Very rarely do I bring my viewers homes that are for sale on the market.  This week I offer two because they are unique and special.  One which I will post about tomorrow--a luxury apartment I decorated for the developer of a former watch factory now a luxury residence in the historic village of Sag Harbor, Long Island.  Secondly, is today's one-of-a-kind beauty in my favorite New England community, Gloucester. 

You may have read my posts about my mother's gardens in Gloucester, Massachusetts years ago, and I wrote about her love for this fishing village.  Away from the center of town in Gloucester is an enclave of small colonies, each surrounding the water but all with very different personalities.  The Rocky Neck section of Gloucester is known as an artist' colony drawing interesting and talented artists.  Dotting the coves are studios with an endless supply of artists in residence seemingly always with paint-brush-in-hand ready to capture the gorgeous light and landscape of Gloucester.  I have long loved this place, and mostly because I looked at it through my mother's eyes.  She was enamored with Gloucester--the people, the history, the culture, and the beauty and all from the moment we first took a ride while she was visiting me in Boston.  Within an hour of meandering through the town, my mother was determined to make this special place a part of her life, and she did just that for the remainder of her life.  That was many moons ago.  

This post makes me realize how serendipitous life can be and five years ago while visiting and writing about the East Hampton antique show, I met one of the antique dealers by the name of Andrew Spindler.  I was immediately drawn to his booth showing unique finds, and special pillows made in my favorite vintage fabric from a group of women artisans in the 1940s, Folly Cove (also from Gloucester).  I soon realized and remembered that years before, my mother and I had stopped into Andrew's special shop in the sleepy town of Essex, which is next to Gloucester.  

Andrew has a special talent, a honed artistic eye for curating fine antiques and combining them together into beautiful vignettes.  At that time we spoke about his home in Gloucester overlooking the rocky coast of Bass Rocks and to me, it sounded like heaven.  Now, years later Andrew has made the decision to sell his home after living there for many years and slowly transforming it and making it even more special than it already was. Set on 1.4 acres amongst massive boulders, the house overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and Twin Lights.  It is a 1930s Arts and Crafts stone and shingled residence designed by architects Phillips and Holloran.  There are four lots on the property including a 5 bedroom, 5.5 bath main house; greenhouse; 2-car detached garage; a stone teahouse; and all with an outdoor granite fireplace and seating area.  It reminds me of my favorite book as a child--The Secret Garden--with winding nooks and paths that look like they could be straight out of a movie set, and all fantastically overlooking the ocean.  There are Japanese-inspired plantings with specimen trees , a stone patio and 2 ponds.   

This weekend is the Mulford Farm's East Hampton Antique Show.  I have no doubt Andrew's booth will be fantastic as it is every summer.  If you attend, please stop by and chat with him about his home in Gloucester.  It is a wonderful, special place and I am happy to show it here on Nest by Tamara, so please enjoy the photographs.  If you decide to purchase this beauty, please invite me over for tea! 
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara