WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Our Favorite Design Applications This Week--Painted & Wallpaper Ceilings



Don't Forget Your Ceiling, 
An Important Surface 
To Create Beautiful Detailing!

I designed this nautically-inspired guest bedroom in Sag Harbor pulling from the original whaling town's history and influences!



Painting a ceiling is a favorite design trick of ours.  Last summer, I painted the ceiling in a design project, once an industrial factory now luxury condominium home in Sag Harbor, Long Island.  I chose vivid paint color Blueberry by Benjamin Moore.  This hue is one part marine blue, other part straight from the berry patch and it is fresh and vivid.  I desired to draw the eye up in this small second bedroom with soaring ceilings, and by painting the ceiling this way it brought depth to the small space.  I donned the walls with a textured grasscloth, my favorite Madagascar with a vinyl back from Hinson (sold through Donghia).  Then to offset all the lovely nuanced blues from indigo to denim throughout the bed, curtains and small bedroom, I painted the ceiling this dashing color.  Throughout the rest of the home I painted the ceilings as well, a more subtler pale, sky blue.  Wallpaper is another way to bring a needed texture to our ceilings, and bring in architectural elements to the room without overwhelming.  I like small patterns for ceilings as they beckon you to look closer.  Let's take a look at some other favorite painted and wallpapered ceilings we found showing many ways to utilize this often forgotten surface.  
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara

check out ceiling designs we love, 

which add architectural detailing...
for sources and inspiration, 
our ceiling pin board




 wallpaper a ceiling for drama...