Sunday, May 8

An exciting trip to Subzero Wolf -- the ever evolving kitchen

I love kitchens and it may be my favorite room in a home to design. I enjoyed the kitchen exhibit at the MOMA museum in New York City and this rolling footage of old movies showing our nation's kitchens through history is fascinating.

It is obvious to see from these movies how much the kitchen has evolved over the years

This week let's focus on kitchen makeovers because the kitchen appears to change more rapidly than any room in our home.  I am happy to report I'm heading to
Madison, Wisconsin for an all expense paid trip sponsored 
by Subzero Wolf.  I'll be taking part in a three day designer training program at their headquarters. 
We have a schedule packed week of cooking, eating and learning about their products. I'm hearing great stuff from other designers who have attended, and I'll be certain to report back about all the fun.
There seems to be a pattern here...

Remember when award winning faucet company Brizo sponsored me and 19 other designers and bloggers during Fashion Week with Jason Wu? We learned about faucets, attended Jason's fashion show, brainstormed with the development team on their prototypes, and ended with a  design challenge. Our group (A.K.A the Dream Team -- see our facebook group) are now being similarly sponsored by GEMonogram in June and attending their facility in Louisville, Kentucky.
I'm tired but happy and just soaking it all in --
It's great fun to learn even more about what makes up a state of the art, modern kitchen. check out this video
of Wolf's amazing designer showroom in Madison
created by interior designer Jamie Drake 

Jamie Drake
photograph courtesy of The New York Social Diary
Jamie will be on hand during the program to speak with us in Madison about how
 Kitchens are evolving.  
See below interesting tidbits about the inception of the refrigerator -- taken from the Subzero Wolf website below
"In 1943, Westye F. Bakke built the first
freestanding freezer in the basement of his
Madison, Wisconsin home. A businessman
with a keen ability to anticipate post-World
War II food preservation trends, he founded
Sub-Zero Freezer Company just two years
later in an old two-car garage."
The evolving Kitchen program
 by Sub-Zero Wolf 
I know I have written lots about how much my daughter and I enjoy cooking together.  
check out our Sunday night popovers from
Ina Garten's popover recipe

 Gabby cooking dinner!
So, I've had kitchens on the mind lately. 
Remember I took you on a tour at the Architectural Digest Home Show
a month ago?
The New York Design Center asked me to curate a tour for visitors and I honed it to kitchen, cooking and entertaining stops -- subject we all love, huh?  Anyway, I was lucky enough to come upon Subzero Wolf's booth and meet all the knowledgeable folks who offered up ideas, tips and thoughts on their fabulous top of the line products. 
Subzero Wolf products are the best quality in the market,
and I'm crazy for those infamous red knobs -- 
To cook on a Wolf stove is every chef's dream.
 HGTV's 2010 Kitchen of the Year
features Subzero Wolf products

 the piece de resistance in any kitchen
 kitchens of today are not only functioning rooms
with state of the art equipment and appliances but they are growing and morphing into curated spaces where one can happily share a meal with friends, while lingering to enjoy the ambiance.
While at the AD Home Show I got jazzed up about this double wall oven.  I have a double wall oven myself and during large parties and holidays it certainly comes in handy to be able to cook a few items simultaneously and at different temperatures.  But, this state of the art model piqued my interest and takes wall ovens to a whole other level:

E Series Built-In Ovens
Wolf's innovative dual convection: two fans for even heat distribution
  • Full-extension bottom rack for easier access to foods
  • 10 cooking modes, including the bake stone and dehydration kits, for precise, easy-to-use control
  • Balanced door hinge system for smooth opening and closing of door
  • Three removable racks
  • Wolf's signature cobalt blue interior
So, I'm off to Wisconsin --
the land of cheese and ice cream and Sub-zero Wolf  
to learn even more about kitchens --
but I have one question --
what does a New York City gal wear in Wisconsin?
wish me luck and I will report back!
Next week
an indoor/outdoor makeover of a historic former barn in Connecticut
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara


Anonymous said...

this show at the museum looks great and I have to make my way over there. Enjoy your time in Wisconsin and I think you will love it. Thanks for an informative post about Wolf stoves. Beverly Gattinc

jb @BuildingMoxie said...

awesome awesomeness and you covered a lot of ground here. glad you included the history of the kitchen bit and oh does that showroom (from the vid) look sweet. So excited to get more details when we get a chance to catch up soon. rock on! ~jb

roberta said...

looking forward to the make overs. What a great way to celbrate Spring!

Anonymous said...

Tamara, I agree the red knocks are like eye candy and those stoves are gorgeous. I love cooking on my parent's Wolf cooktop and it is a luxury, and hope to get my own sometime soon. Saving my pennies. Thanks, Terry Mandler of Utah

Anonymous said...

looking forward to hearing more about this adventure and what you thought of the factory. I went a few years back and was very impressed. Leslie

Anonymous said...

kitchens are my favorite design subject. thanks for this and need to go to the museum and see that exhibit. Looking forward to catching up with you at ICFF and hearing about subzero expereince. j.s.

Anonymous said...

your walk in central park sounds like fun. I wish I was in NY becaues I always wanted to go to Shakespeare's gardens with people who know about flowers. It is so pretty there this time of year. Cooking and flowers are two of my favorite subjects. Ellen

shiree segerstrom said...

Have a great time at Blogfest Tamara! And congratulations on your column in Dan's Papers! Shiree'