WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

fabric musings as I head to the ITMA Showtime Textile show in Highpoint, North Carolina


my Fabric Board on Pinterest
 is a mixture of fabrics I have used in my design projects for clients plus ones I spotted on Pinterest and desire to use in the future.  I am a big fan of mixing traditional with modern designs to create myriad aesthetics with timeless appeal.
  
 Let's talk fabrics...
When you read this I will be enroute to the
 ITMA Showtime Fabric Show
in Highpoint, North Carolina

gorgeous fabric I spotted in the Pearson showroom 
at Highpoint Furniture Market October 2012

Smaller than its big sister, Highpoint Furniture Market, ITMA Showtime fabric show is a honed fabric and trim-specific trade show.  The Market has invited and sponsored five of us design bloggers to travel together to this spectacular show to bring you the skinny.  In a nutshell, I am excited to meander through the event while journaling my experiences of these quality, beautiful fabrics.   
Check out the fabric vendors exhibiting at Showtime 
combining fabrics for a beach cottage,
I topped it off with a starfish button.
fabrics: Brunschwig & Fils, Cowtan & Tout, Travers, Pierre Frey
What is the ITMA, you ask?
ITMA is the International Textile Market Association, and it is a non-profit business association founded in 1990 to promote its members, their professionalisms and to foster a fair working environment. This objective is pursued primarily through Showtime
a twice yearly textile show in December and June.  

 I'm crazy for fabric and trim.  My entry into the design world began after graduating from Parsons School of Design in 1992 when I secured freelance work with a variety of designers to source wares for their clients.  Basically, I was a shopper.  At any given day I was running (literally) through the D&D building with several bags in hand (one for each designer to keep it straight) to whisk away fabric swatches and schemes.  What a way to learn the business!  Combining fabrics well is an integral part of our job as interior designers.  Knowing what works well together is important, and being schooled on quality and craftsmanship is equally valuable. 



I will be traveling with these five other design bloggers to this exciting textile show.  You can tweet to us using the #SHOWTIME hashtag, and keep up with our musings @ITMAShowtime @nestnestnest @MadCapcottage @stylebeat @tracizeller @allthebestblog

Some of my work 
where the fabric and trim made the design...
my love of using the color blue is highlighted in this bedroom, 
an all blue toile from Brunschwig & Fils, pillow fabric Pierre Frey combined with a variety of trims and fabrics.  

more colorful blending of fabrics & trims:
Houles, Hinson, Clarence House, Cowtan & Tout, Robert Allen, Brunschwig & Fils 

 I joined Travers, Brunschwig & Fils, Osborne & Little, Donghia fabrics with Houles trims to finish this dining room.
While on the subject of fabric, I have a crush on these two new collections:
1). Beacon Hill/Robert Allen has teamed up with Ankasa for a second collaboration to introduce the 
Legacy collection, which is inspired by the Indian marketplace and the lively culture.  Fine embroidery and embellishment techniques are highlighted with the use of vibrant colors. 
Karol

Kota

Mela Stripe

Rajouri

Shamaina

2). I am also charmed by a new fabric collection from de Le Cuona, Wild Tranquility.  The collection showcases rich fabrics exploring both old and new techniques and rooted in the makings of Italian fresco paintings.  The palettes borrow from the chalky tones of gesso masters. Many are 100% linen, and they have a nice, aged feel.  Using techniques such as twice washing, stone washing, dyeing and massaging gives suppleness to the textiles.  Some are embossed in France and others embroidered. Bernie de Le Cuona collaborated with mills around the world to produce these linens and velvets in unique color and texture combinations.

Fresco

Casablanca

Monet

Sack Cloth

Cavalier

Eskimo Club

Talisman

Stop back for musings straight from the 
ITMA Showtime floor this upcoming 
Sunday through Tuesday!  
Please stop over on ITMA Showtime Facebook Page too.
Happy Nesting 
XO Tamara