Welcome to Nest by Tamara

Welcome to Nest by Tamara
Tamara Matthews Stephenson is the creative talent behind this journal dedicated to interior design, history and lifestyle inspiration. With a passion for design and a keen eye for aesthetics, she shares her expertise and insights. Tamara has established herself as a prominent figure in the world of interior design and her design philosophy is rooted in the idea that a well-designed home can elevate the quality of life. Beyond her writing, She is an interior designer and textile designer as the Creative Director and Owner of root cellar designs, LLC, an artisan line of textile and wallpaper. Connect with Tamara through email at rootcellardesings@gmail.com

Our Latest Fabric & Wallpaper Collection, East Hampton Cottage

“After a decade of creating collections, this particular one I sat with the most because I yearned for it to bring a ‘cottage’ feeling to your homes.  With four fabric and four wallpaper designers, each one of these reflects my love for the local charm, seashells, the East End architecture and history as well as the beautiful day to day nuances of living in a cottage by the sea in East Hampton.”
-Tamara Matthews-Stephenson



 


 


Dear Friends,
Some say September is the most beautiful month of the year in the east coast with less tourism and lots of sunny days followed by cooler evenings.  This summer in particular was special to me.  Our daughter was recently married and both our grown children used our home in East Hampton as the epi-center of their summer life- entertaining guests and friends, and simply making beautiful memories.  The house was filled with lots of activity. Many family and friends visited from out of town. After years of working on it, my husband finally tweaked our garden and landscaping to be in tip top shape.  The hydrangeas peaked in July, and from under the pergola through the area I call “the kitchen garden”, our yard felt warm and welcoming and wonderfully lived in. 
We love East Hampton- the area is rich in history going back to the inception of the country, and the historic homes echo that everywhere.  As a year-round resident, I have learned that in July and August if you avoid the crowds and mostly entertain at home and at friend's homes, it is a relaxing way to summer.  We do pop into the farm stands (but not on the weekends) and mostly eat fresh vegetables and fruit grown locally.  To us, Summer is a verb and our family partakes in lots of activities from kayaking to fishing to boating to beaching.  We love those early morning walks on the beach with our pup Stella.  We also have a fun family tradition of frequently creating beach bonfires at Georgica Beach in East Hampton to enjoy dinner at sunset and through the evening when it's cooler.
With all this, I certainly have lots of fodder for creating my fabric and wallpaper but this collection was the first one fully inspired by the life we created out east in Long Island. For East Hampton Cottage, I named each pattern after something specific I love here.  With Longhouse Sprig I gave a nod to that gorgeous garden in East Hampton started by textile great, Jack Lenor Larsen.  With Georgia Walk my seashell design was inspired by our early morning walks collecting shells.  Lily Pond is our favorite street with historic trees draping the road.  And, Maidstoner captures the beauty fo all those historic windmills everywhere. Did you know that Maidstone was the original name for East Hampton?  With this new collection, I've already incorporated many fabric & wallpaper designs into my own and my client's homes in the hopes of keeping summer close all year long. 
I am so pleased to see designers and showrooms already specifying it for their projects and I cannot wait to see over the years how this collections gets incorporated into many design projects. Check out the full East Hampton Cottage Collection of Fabric and Wallpaper.
Happy Nesting, XO Tamara