WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Let's take a closer look at Domino Magazine's feature: Haven's Kitchen owner's digs and kitchen

By now, 
you must know 
DOMINO magazine is back!
I love the Holiday issue.
Let's take a closer look at one of the features...
After flipping through the virtual pages of this issue, 
I am impressed with the content, and the combination of editorial with a well-source shopping section--genius! 

As a NYC "foodie" myself (you may read about my Culinary Dinner Group or my Monday column, Weekday Supper posts here on Nest), I was happy to see an interesting kitchen profiled in the magazine. This summer I traveled to cook with the now publisher of DOMINO, Beth Brenner (formerly the publisher of TRADITIONAL HOME magazine) in California at the Thermador headquarters.  First, the magazine profiled my Fourth of July dinner in a one time issue called, Great Kitchens.  Later, they invited all of us profiled on this cooking trip together.  What an experience, and we stopped into Whole Foods to shop, then wielded our skills in the Thermador kitchen.  I just know Beth's collaborative, hands-on personality will add wonders to DOMINO - congratulations Beth!
I have long-loved Haven's Kitchen on West 17th Street in Union Square, and not too far away from the farmer's market in the neighborhood.  Offered as a private space to host events and with a spectacular chef on hand, the upstairs "living room" feels as if you are visiting friends for dinner.  When my daughter's class was graduating from high school last year, we held our Senior Dinner celebration in the space, and it was warm and inviting, plus the food was delicious to boot! 
To see the owner's very own kitchen profiled in the pages of DOMINO, I was inspired.  After reading the feature, I hope to incorporate some of these ideas into an upcoming kitchen project -- floor to ceiling subway tile, grey cabinetry and stellar clean-lined sensibilities were all features of Alison Cayne's  home kitchen.  
torn from the pages of the Holiday issue of DOMINO...
Haven's Kitchen owner, Alison Cayne cooks in her home kitchen

Alison's home garden

Over at Haven's Kitchen they have expanded to become a full food center with evening dinner club programs, cooking classes, and a busy Fall schedule line-up offering something for everyone's cooking abilities.  I chatted with Alison about her cooking and food philosophy, and this is what she had to say about the classes offered,
 
"The classes are actually the heart of Haven's Kitchen. First and foremost we consider ourselves a cooking school, and a place where people can reconnect to the basic joy and skills of cooking and food in general. These events are enhancements and the legs of that mission."
Thank you DOMINO for continuing to inspire unique and fresh design, and thank you Haven's Kitchen for bringing us even more food and cooking inspiration here in New York City.  I feel fully equipped with lots of fodder from the latest and greatest design to shopping sources and a full calendar of foodie events to get me through the Fall season.
Happy Nesting 
XO Tamara