WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Nest by Tamara's 7 Favorite Top Tabletop Designs spotted in Germany's Ambiente Show

 Me (left) with food blogger Paola Thomas of MirrorMirror
celebrating  and finding out that
Carnival is a BIG part of Germany's culture!
our crew (left) mingled with locals (right)
When in Rome, right?!

Inspired by Germany's Carnival, 

I noted tabletop design at 

Ambiente  with an exotic flair.

 If you read Nest by Tamara you know I love to set a festive and creative table.  When I was invited to Frankfurt, Germany to write about the Ambiente tabletop show, I was excited to capture it all here on the blog.

my summer tables, 2014
All summer I write Under The Pergola, column about the many events I host in East Hampton.

When traveling to visit trade shows there is almost always a lot of fun thrown in for good measure, but when embarking upon this journey with Modenus' Blogtour the fun meter is ramped way up.  Not only did we cover Ambiente, the world's largest consumer tradeshow in the world, but I cooked a traditional German dish on television, we visited a historic family-owned winery, a museum, several pubs, a historic landmark and participated in a traditional German Carnival celebration.  

 Having just returned from Paris' Maison & Objet before this trip I expected to see some of the very same items, but, instead I saw different looks entirely, which was refreshing. Inspired by the creativity of Carnival, I spotted seven designs I consider a bit exotic and colorful in their design, come take a look...
1. Christian Lacroix Caribe for Vista Alegre showed a medley of new mix and match patterns from butterflies to feathers and all wonderfully mixed together. This is like a Carnival on a plate!
 2. Lenox's wonderful pattern by Marchesa, Gilded Forest is a cornucopia of flora and fauna in copper tones. I love that it is elegant and sophisticated but playful at the same time!


 3. Sebastian Herkner's new tabletop collection for Rosenthal is unique and from an artist's perspective
he created vases, clocks and hangers in the collection. These vases called Colana have a lovely band and varying glass tops.
 4. Richard Ginori showed Italian design the way we expect it, rich, detailed and the finest of quality.  Having recently been bought by fashion house Gucci, this brand debuted in 1735 when Chinoiserie botanical motifs were the height of fashion.  History has a way of repeating itself with this beautiful gilded bird pattern.
 5.  The Green Egg -- a grill is not usually thought of as "tabletop" but this little number is portable, clay/earthenware inside and enamel outside, and makes the most stylish travel charcoal barbecue grill I've seen.  This would be a huge hit on the beach of East Hampton where we barbecue on many summer evenings.  There are several sizes from the tiny one I snapped up to extra large ones that can live outdoors all year long.
6. The tiny little metal votives I spotted at the show from 
be&liv, are from scandinavian company be&live. I am fascinated with the small blossom tea light votive which is offered in four colorways.  They sell packed up flat in a postcard-size envelope that is a snap to assemble.  The cutout design in metal makes for a delightful, innovative design.
with this exotic look inspired by historical illustrations from botanist Alexander von Humboldt takes me immediately to the tropics.  It's colorful and fun, yet elegant.

Happy Nesting 
XO Tamara