WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Let's put together a Holiday Champagne Tea for easy entertaining


East Hampton trees lit up for the holidays
How To Host A Holiday Tea
 in Five Easy Steps
 I offer helpful easy tips and a cookie recipe to boot...

Let's be honest, holiday entertaining does not always come easy.  It is a treat to welcome  guests into our home, light the candles, plug in the tree then pass the champagne.  But, often times during the holidays that is merely a fantasy since we are in a frantic state to get holiday cards in the mail, attend our kid's concerts, shop and wrap gifts and head off for all the holiday cheer.  This year I am not prepared for it all, yet I have friends stopping by on Christmas eve for a cup of cheer.  Easy enough because there is no elaborate cooking and I bring out the many cookies we baked for the holidays, whip up some finger sandwiches, create an easy hot chocolate station for the kids and pop the champagne.  I know pink is not usually a color associated with the holidays but I add pops of pink with accessories and Christmas decorations because it softens the greens, reds and golds a bit while adding a sentimental feel to the holiday decor.
How we put together a Christmas Eve Tea
this tea can be done for New Years Day too 
THREE EASY TIPS:
tip #1:  make self-service areas for guests to help themselves to food and drink to create a casual, yet elegant atmosphere
tip #2:  stock up on Sarabeth Kitchen's jam - 
 perfect with scones and butter
the Cookies
 a cute kid serving cookies to guests is always a plus
These cookies are beautiful and homemade to boot, but I say during the holidays cheating a little is a good thing.  A stress free host is a happy host.  If you don't have time to make elaborate cookies, head on over to your favorite bakery and splurge on some pretty  designed cookies to adorn your tea party.  A hot chocolate station packs a fun punch
easy tip #3:  a hot chocolate station
with a parent pouring to prevent accidents - I make a pitcher of hot chocolate and put it in a thermos with sides of peppermint, marshmallow and whipped cream. Or, 
opt for a mulled cider punch instead, and you have the option of spiking it as well!
the Food
for finger sandwiches--  start with thin sliced bread, cut the crust off then mix it up for a variety - cream cheese and cucumber (cut those cucumbers very thin) with avocado, ham and brie, salmon with capers.  Deviled eggs can be made before and kept in an airtight container
other ideas: 
deviled eggs, fresh fruit on skewers, chocolate dipped strawberries, scones (I buy Sarabeth's frozen scones from Fresh Direct and pop them in the oven for homemade tasting scones), prosciutto wrapped bread sticks, peppermint sticks, holiday decorated cookies
FLOWERS:
easy tip #4:  a note about garland and wreaths:  I prefer fresh boxwood to drape around my fireplace mantel.  It stays dark green when it dries and sheds considerably less than pine and other greens. But, roses feel like Christmas to me.  If I am in a rush, I opt for a single color rose arrangement because set against my holiday greenery and tree it's just the right amount of color. If I have time to arrange a more elaborate flower arrangement I like to use  cranberry peonies, hydrangeas, lemon leaves and roses combined

easy tip #5: too busy to bake, go with my store bought idea above, but it certainly is rewarding to make these cookies with your kids, friends or family.  My homemade chocolate pecan sandies come in handy when I need a delicious cookie recipe and I have time to bake  (with my trusty helper, Miles).  Although they are decadent, they are gluten free, which is a plus.


Tamara's homemade 
chocolate pecan sandie cookies


Tamara's flour-less chocolate pecan sandies
3 C confectioners' sugar
3/4 C Dutch cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 C chopped pecans
4 large egg whites, room temp
Preheat oven to 325.

directions:
Whisk sugar, cocoa, and salt.
Stir in melted Chocolate that is cooled a bit  (melt over a double boiler on low - do not boil and stir often)
and pecans.
Add egg whites and stir only a little bit.

Drop dough in ice cream scoop, 3 inches apart to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Cookies are done when top is slightly dry and crackled - 25 minutes.
let cookies cool completely.
sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top when cooled

Happy Nesting
photography by Gabby Stephenson