WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Moderne interior design - add a lil' glamour with a lacquered desk




 What is it that 
brings glamour to a room?
Image result for Glamorous room chinoiserie desk
I ask myself this question as I admire this editorial featured in Elle Decor magazine.  Is it the dark colors juxtaposed against the sleek desk?  Is it how the desk sits front and center in the room?  Yes and Yes.   To me, glamour is brought into a room in small bits, often with combining unexpected finishes and or shapes. The contrasting gives our eye breathing room and somewhere to settle, and collect light. A little bit of shiny goes a long way. 
As I source desk options for a new client's bedroom office area, I long to create a glamorous nook,
perhaps a lacquered desk with a tufted bench in a pop of color.   I'm now smitten, and girl on a mission.  
how decadent to position this desk facing out
Elle Decor magazine
1st dibbs offers a variety of lacquer desk options, some vintage. 
This one with the bowed legs and straight pulls certainly
could hold court as the piece de resistance of a room
Channing desk from Jonathan Adler at $1,750 is a fair price,
and the chrome legs and glass ball pulls put it on the top of my list

Talk about glamour,
Jonathan Adler named the Channing in reference to
Bette Davis' character in All About Eve


and a bargain at $820 Bungalow 5 offers a Chinese Ming leg option desk called the Jacqui 
with interchangeable ring pulls in either gold or silver for a small up charge. 
this desk at Zgallerie for under $500 is the least expensive I've seen,
although it is chunkier than the others

go on...
add a little glamour with lacquer
whatever your budget!