WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Oh lovely tables, let me count the ways you entice us: my favorite designs at Diffa Dining By Design NYC 2012 event

Diffa's
in NYC
offers up creative tables
to spark imagination
Ralph Lauren's table
was a study of balance,
comforting  textures and set a perfect stage
for a cozy dinner by the fireplace
When designing our homes,
we often plan to live with those wall colors,
material choices and furniture for quite some time. 
I advise my clients to opt for classic looks that will withstand over time, but we pepper in current popular trends we may be drawn to with pillows, throws and accessories. 
After all,
this is a big investment and one of my responsibilities is
to help clients understand that design is not trendy. 

A walk through Diffa's Dining by Design
in New York City a couple weeks ago illustrates this point abundantly. 
I was inspired as I walked from table to table
taking in the creativity many designers and stylists conjured
up  in these spectacular mini-spaces. 

Take a look at some of my favorites:
Ralph Lauren never disappoints  
When planning your table,
remember it is only one meal 
so I say do it up big. 
No need to go conservative on your dinner party,
and the more dramatic the better. 
Ralph Lauren stays true to his roots by creating a table
and room that feels cozy, warm and rooted in history. 

The long bench, table and lodge-like feel makes me want to kick off my ski boots
and saddle up for a rich meal with friends.  
The basket of flowers, pile of wood neatly stacked, pelt throws, horn bowls
and upholstered seated bench with American Indian motif 
feels as if we have just arrived at our very stylish friends ski chalet in Montana!
Jonathan Adler created a lovely curious jewel box for Kravet
encased and upholstered in their quality fabric. 
Sort of an Alice In Wonderland appeal,
this fantasy dining room feels decadent. 
I love the cut out windows
and how it creates a smaller cocoon in this large space,
giving an intimate feel. 
The pottery and green and cream colored palette soothes as well.

one had to look through a key hole to see the
fantastical table setting,
which created quite an alluring fresh and moderne view
photograph courtesy of Tilton Fenwick

Tilton Fenwick offered up something a little different
with an abundance of floral bouquets
from the tall arrangement to the tablecloth. 
This illustrates the point to go dramatic,
especially in a small table setting. 
This table was able to stand up
to the many other larger tables with it's impressive color
combination and tall cone-like flower arrangement. 
La Crema wine sponsored this table,
 and I adore all the little touches.
check out the mini sea urchin on top of each soup tureen...
the combination of raw materials with the
unexpected helped create an imaginative table setting
but my very favorite table award
goes to the beautifully composed study of color,
cut paper and entertaining put together by
using the broad spectrum of color wheel possibilities
and incorporating Benjamin Moore's paint chips,
this table had that extra special "wow" factor.  It delighted with each viewing. 
There were unexpected touches in every corner 
even the books were bound
in Benjamin Moore colors  

There you have it,
 and now go set a mean table!

Be Creative!
our recent Culinary Dinner Group's Indian-inspired dinner
complete with donning bindis and rose petals covering the table...
 Happy Nesting
XO Tamara