WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Day 5: my favorites at the Hampton Designer Showhouse

 today's views of the Hampton Designer Showhouse 
completes my week-long sneak peeks.  
I hope you get a chance to stop into the showhouse and 
walk the rooms for yourself, 
which is open until Labor Day in Watermill, Long Island. 
If you live too far away to attend, 
please enjoy my glimpses at these rooms up close while hearing about the designer's inspirations.  

The Nursery 
by designer 
Tamara Kaye-Honey
of 
nest by tamara, nesting, interior design
 I liked many vignettes and spaces in this showhouse, but the upstairs nursery caught my attention.  It is an unexpected, rather dramatic space with darker colors then what is typical for a baby's nursery, however, Tamara captures the whimsy and awe with a child-like view, yet infusing a sophisticated color and pattern palette.  I like the dark ceiling, trim and the dramatic vintage looking walls.  The crib linens are a show stopper.  The art work reminds me of a Tim Burton movie.  Tamara is located in Pasadena, California.  Originally hailing from Canada, she is an FIT graduate and recently named
 NewTrad's top 10 new designers for 2012

 Tamara made a point to tell me that many of the accessories were purchased locally at antique shops.  She custom designed the lacquered dresser and crib.
 a combination of DK Lulu for Schumacher fabrics and vintage finds in the crib.

nesting, new york city, interior design, nest by tamara
  I like the dramatic Pratt & Lambert ceiling in a sheen, plus the cute sitting area for play, all  grounded by a very pretty trellis rug.  

paint note:  
Pratt & Lambert paint on ceiling is an oil base sheen, color  Anthracite (25-19). It is a cross between a plum and grey. 

 a playful poodle sculpture lamp adds character
 pinch pleat curtain panels
Lulu DK for Schumacher, a  new children collection 

my thoughts on showhouse spaces:  

I expect a little drama in a showhouse space where we can see all the ranges of possibilities when creativity, talent and quality products are put together well - to me, it's okay to be a little over the top and push the envelope, and it's a balance between enticing and showing the consumer great quality design.  This nursery walks that tight rope very well while still giving us a beautiful livable space.   I like the unexpected details at every turn, and this bronze butterfly sculpture caught my eye.  As a designer, a showhouse is the ultimate in creativity -- I truly hope very much to be designing my very own showhouse space in the future.

Happy Nesting!