WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Part II: stylish and practical round-up for casual, summer entertaining - The Guest Bedroom

 
Welcome to summer...
The long days of summer will soon be here.
you may be spiffing up your guest bedroom to prepare for guests this season, or
marking your calendar for a vacation away. 
please check out 
Nest by Tamara's 
"Must Haves" 
for Summer 2013 entertaining: 
Part II:
the guest bedroom
great wares I found this year in my many design trips.  
All sources for summer home and entertaining.  
Part I: was setting a pretty table. 
and
Part III: will be picnics, pool & beach party sources
today is guest bedroom "Must Haves" 
Read my stories on how to tweak a guest bedroom
in Dan's Papers magazine and my blog from last summer.  
California guest bedroom via designer Tobi Tobin
Karyn Millet photography
House Beautiful magazine
Let's talk guest bedrooms:
When I envision my dream interior design project, ironically, it is usually not a formal setting, and although I love those regal spaces, I dream of a country cottage guest bedroom.  A cozy space, maybe with a lakeside view or pastoral setting.  I think the reason I love weekend homes or cottages is they are often approached with simplicity and for the pure purpose of enjoyment and relaxation.  A beach cottage or summer cabin is a get-away from everyday life, so people want it to feel happy and comfortable, and sometimes void of the stress-inducing properties of our normal home life.  Both these rooms above are gorgeous, the colors work well together yet there is a simple elegance to the spaces, and makes me want to cozy up and read a good book.  In order for a guest bedroom to do it's job well it needs to have plenty of pillows, luxurious linens, a comfortable bed, enough lighting, ample end tables, a few small dishes to hold jewelry, etc.,  and room to put stuff, plus stocked with nice, fluffy towels.  I like to put a tray filled with water, flowers and maybe notepads, maybe some note cards and envelopes, pens and maps for my guests to make them feel at-home.

Take a look at some sources I have found that will not break the budget, yet provide our guests with a luxurious away-from-home experience: 

guest bedroom linens by PineCone Hill -- Cape Calm collection 
When I visited with designer Annie Selke last spring at her flagship warehouse in her hometown in Massachusetts, I saw firsthand many new bedding collections just about to launch. Annie makes various styles and quality bedding, plus her prices are reasonable as well.  I enjoyed the vintage looks of "Nanny's Attic" and these indigo patterns from the "Cape Calm" collection would work well in a summer cottage.
quadrille tray from Calypso
love this pared down look (source via) for a guest room or pool house,
 and using indoor/outdoor rugs in waterproof materials makes for stress-free entertaining.
white with pops of color and a navy/grey or dark brown base feels classic yet fresh 
photograph via
MORE FINDS:
I adore this cute little vintage French pottery and placed by the bedside for guests to leave earrings or change on my friend Barbara Mangini's site,
 
I am crazy for throw pillows on beds, love seats and chairs.
Custom made ones are decadent but there are some good choices for ready-made in the market. 
this pillow almost feels vintage, and perfect in a beach house - 
offered by Serena & Lily
the octopus collection of pillow collection ornamented with beading, some tie-dye and other options is simple gorgeous by Ankasa 

this IKEA end table in a happy blue is perfect for a guest bedroom, especially set against white
amber colored glass bedside water carafe for guests
 
 I splurged on these Jemina pillowcases and sheets last summer from Roberta Freymann's Roller Rabbit and they brightened up my guest bedroom.  The Roller Rabbit sheet and duvet cover sets give that vacation feel as if you've stepped off the airplane and straight into the Caribbean.  Set against the apple green walls of my guest bedroom in East Hampton,
the room is vibrant and welcoming!  I fell in love the colors of the pink combined with orange and picked up napkins and pillows for my outdoor table as well in the same palette.

these linens changed up my guest bedroom and added a jolt of color and pattern to the space
outdoor rugs (Horchow) allow for easy entertaining and look good indoors as well.  When hosting guests in the summer using indoor/outdoor rugs can ease the worry of wet summer, sandy feet.  This X pattern is fresh and classic, plus the color in a nautical blue is fabulous.

On the subject of rugs I love the new collections by designer Libby Langdon  with an assortment of styles, and all perfect for a casual, guest bedroom.  Check out the stylish chevron pattern, yet in a neutral color so it does not overwhelm a space.  

This Hampton blue striped rug would work well in a beach house guest bedroom

another cost-effecient and stylish option is West Elm's monogram turkish-style towels
 for a guest bathroom.
Triplo Bourdon bath sheet set by Frette
a little more pricey than others Frette bath towels are plush and last a long time.  Although I love color, my favorite choice for guest bedroom towels is nice, fluffy white and maybe with a small colored banding like these above.
for more sources, 
please visit Nest by Tamara's 
on Pinterest 
stop back soon for 
Part III: picnic, pool and beach party Must Haves 
for summer 2013.
Happy Nesting XO