WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

All that glitters is gold....Nest by Tamara's gold roundup for the home

a Louis XVI-style giltwood commode harkens to another era when gold was adorned in the home.
Golden viewpoints!
brand new golden light Zanadoo by Arteriors

Through my design travels recently I have noted an interest in using the color gold in the home, and although this is certainly not a new trend because gold has been a friend to the decorative arts going back to even before the infamous gold obsession during the Louis XVI era in France.  However, as of late, and for a good year now, gold is back on everyone's radar.  Getting a little bit philosophical about why we may be so enamored with gold, I think maybe we yearn to hold onto glamour and luxury in this time of economic uncertainty.  What I do know is when adding a little bit of gold to an interior, it brings a special elegance and warmth to the project.

One of my own personal favorite uses of gold is pairing it with white or cream and it's delightfully elegant and not overdone in this way.  I am also a fan of combining both gold and silver in a home together.   As I plan my dining room for this April's Design On A Dime, the color gold is certainly in my thoughts and while creating my "French-inspired dining room in a sea cottage" I hope to bring in a little bling with both gold and silver to add character to the space.  Having just returned from Paris and the swanky Mason & Objet decorative arts show, my friend and fellow IFDA board member, Andrea Algaze noted lots of gold throughout the show and in Paris during the week.  I wrote about her Mason round up on the 
IFDA NY blog
Andrea's gold spotting at Mason Objet:
Come take a look at some of the gold-inspired pieces I've sourced recently for my design clients or want to use in the future.

Aerin Lauder's beautiful golden Mill Ceiling light at Circa,
is not only a pretty gold but a lovely, fresh design to boot.

I recently picked up a pair of these gourd cream and gold lamps from Circa Lighting for a client and the classic design adds wonders to the colorful space.
Alessandra Branca's gold leaf stool would add just the right amount of glamour to a beautiful sitting room.
I'm smitten with Mecox Garden's Bridgehampton Gold Bench
Pearson Furniture's Art Deco cabinet
is on the top of my list of gold and cream items to source.  The faux shagreen, cream and gold combined make this piece a must have.
And, when designing a new space you can almost never go wrong with a beautiful gleaming mirror.  I love the versatility of the style of this one (and it can be used in both a traditional and contemporary space)
Arterior's oval Prescott mirror
a beauty from Barry Dixon's collection for Arteriors -- this light is even more beautiful in person.

I will leave you with my favorite poem by Robert Frost, Nothing Gold Can Stay. And, although it has a bit of a melancholy ring to it, to me when used in this context I read into the meaning as let's celebrate the golden times and hold onto the beauty of the "gold" when we can.  Life moves swiftly, so enjoy and relish in the moment, and while you're at it, add a little gold to your home to brighten your day!

Nothing Gold Can Stay
by Robert Frost
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara