WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Summer dreaming at the New York Botanical Garden Orchid Diinner's Key West Contemporary theme-inspired evening




 The 12th annual New York Botanical Garden's 
Orchid Dinner inspires
us to glean tabletop ideas 
while dreaming of summer fetes, 
set at the glamorous Mandarin Oriental Hotel
 in New York City!


  

 the stars were twinkling last eve with 
Philip Gorrivan and Martha Stewart
a quick shot of Philip Gorrivan's tall, gorgeous table setting

The annual Orchid dinner could not come soon enough this year.  One of my favorite evenings of design, the Orchid Dinner never fails to inspire, uplift and confirm my appreciation for the botanical world.  This year's theme was perfectly planned to lift our spirits in the midst of a deluge of snow and and cold in New York City -- the Key West Contemporary idea brought designers to all corners of the nautical world with their creativity with many tables teaming with a love of sea life and the natural world.  This was a great source for me as I am in the throes of planning my dining room for this April's Design On A Dime at Housingwork's annual fundraiser.  My design will be a French-inspired dining room by the sea, and I am up to my elbows in orchids, coral and star fish these days so it was great to see what these designers had on their radar.  What a perfect evening with great company, delicious food, a fabulous live band and some of the industry's biggest design names and brands collaborating to show us gorgeous and creative design. 
Come take a look...
 A gorgeous table and unique custom made Baccarat chandelier showing a modern flair
Dedar fabric for Hermes 
sets a sophisticated tone on the table
My favorite table has a subdued but elegant aesthetic--yellow orchids, Dedar fabric, Baccarat lighting/crystal.
In conjunction with VERENDA magazine, with Editor in Chief of VERENDA's  Clinton Smith chairing the event, there were 23 designers showcasing their talent.  Proceeds for the evening underwrite the development of the museum's orchid research collection, which helps to maintain the highest standards of horticultural preservation.  



Gala Chairs include:  
Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan C. Clay
Mr and Mrs Charles M. Royce
Mr. and Mrs. Steven R. Schwartz

a well-healed group of designers, committed patrons and brands joining forces for the fundraiser--orchid sale was completely sold out in only a few minutes.

The annual Orchid Dinner reminds us
summer is just around the corner, 
and I hope you are getting your party hat ready!
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara