WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Quality wares add nautical touches to my designs for my room at the upcoming Design On A Dime charity design event

My French-inspired 
seaside dining room is in ship-shape! 
The creative wheels are turning for 
Design On A Dime in April...
a vintage sailboat print I framed 
to sell on my gallery wall
glimpses of fabrics donated from Tilton Fenwick's new collection from Duralee (more about that soon).  Wallpapers from Farrow & Ball, including glimpses (top photo) of their brand new paper collection Samphire.
I am fortunate to have a lovely medley of donations for my room ~ fabrics, papers, art, French vintage plates, furniture and a slew of artisan made items ~ Over the next month I will post sneak peeks of items for the space I am designing and will install for the 3-day event in NYC's Metropolitan Pavilion on April 24.  Remember, this event is great because while it's philanthropic it is also offers bargain shopping selling all items for 50-70% off prices.
Today, let's look at some of the small details.
Haven't you heard the saying,
"the devil is in the details?" 
Happy to note my dining room will be chock-filled with lots of unique and eclectic details. Cricket Radio generously donated their striking Compass pillows and cotton coasters for my space.
Can you say Cricket Radio ten times fast?
A few months ago I stopped into Grand Central Station to check out Martha Stewart's Made In America extravaganza.  Martha had invited a plethora of artists from the food and design industry to showcase their wares in this two-day event.  I came away impressed with the people I met.  As I began to plan my designs for the upcoming Design On A Dime with Housingworks and Elle Decor magazine, I knew I wanted to incorporate many artisan made and regional designs into my space.  I immediately thought of this small, burgeoning company in Vermont and upon reaching out to them, they enthusiastically offered items for my dining room.  These designs live up to their expectations and look even more beautiful in person than on the website.  The compass design pillows are striking, and the navy and white color combination adds to my nautical sea-inspired theme.  
 I plan to weave nautical touches into my elegant country dining room.  While at the Martha event, I also met the owner of Mystic Knotwork, and way back this past fall I mentioned to him I'd love to utilize their designs in one of my summer tables.  Hailing from Mystic, Connecticut this family-owned company makes adorable nautical knot napkin rings and tabletop accessories.  They also sell what I think of as the quintessential "summer bracelet." My son coined this phrase when he began sailing at 7 years-old.  Each summer he dons these woven bracelets all over his arm, refusing to take them off until the first day of school--they represent summer to him!

speaking of inspirations and vacations, 
I channeled sleepy summer vacations 
spent in small fishing towns, sailing, 
eating fresh seafood in a relaxed, 
yet  cultured environment.  
Although my dining room is French-inspired, it could easily be anywhere from the tip of Long Island in Montauk to Marseille, France.   The key ingredient is a sense of ease mixed with a love and passion for the sea and gardening with a nod to history.
Thank You Cricket Radio because this hand towel looks stunning in my very own dining room.  You kindly slipped this special gift into the box for me, and how did you know my own dining room is a homage to birds?

 
I am grateful these folks came across my blog path and stuck in my craw, and for their eagerness to help a designer out.  
Please stop by for more sneak peeks and profiles of my sponsors, who have reinforced my love for this quirky, creative and generous industry!  
French fashion vintage print I framed for the gallery wall

I hope to see you at Design On A Dime 
on April 24, and you can purchase tickets here.
Happy Nesting 
XO Tamara