WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

ALL WHITE DECOR: My New Kitchen in New York City, Renovating An Oldie

Interior Design Crush:
All-White Palette, Please
love these floors, photo via decoholic
Lately the design industry is all about color, everywhere you turn there is bright orange, green, blue, the new serene pink quartz color and every hue of the rainbow in between.  Don't get me wrong, I love color and bit by bit every single inch of my home is covered with color. There is and has never been a white room in any of my homes, ever.  I start out hopeful that we could keep it serene and simple, then my proclivity for color takes over and it all goes to pot.  But, in my dreams, (you know, the one I will never live in), I covet white painted floors and a neutral palette throughout (like the one above).  The pristine, clean, edited room, and oh, so white.  Something about a white room, void of color, that just feels delightfully simple and nurturing.  So, today, let's relish in the color of the moment, er, lack of color. 

This year, I traveled the globe to over seven design trade shows from Maison Objet in Paris, to Ambiente in Frankfurt and then back to Highpoint in North Carolina.  Let's just say it has been an inundation of design.  Couple that with the fact that I have paired up with my good friend to create a custom design textile and home wares company (Root Cellar Designs), and I've been busy tapping into design fodder.  I find inspiration around every corner, and somehow white has gotten lost in the shuffle.  Not a single white pattern has made it into our fabric collection,  yet.  But, that is on my spring agenda.  I yearn for a nice, clean, edited white collection of beautiful fabrics.  A simpler time is needed by all, don't you think?  Let's nest and just shut out the noise, shall we?  

I relish in white for the home.  First, take a look at what has moved me, caught my attention and is on my agenda for the months ahead. Next, check out glimpses of a recent kitchen renovation I completed this Fall. To me, December is all about inspiration.  So, on that note, here goes what is moving me today...
photo via takesunset
my passion for white interiors began when I was a young teen, away from home for the summer.  My family had moved while I was away, and my mom wanted to make my room extra special to soften the blow.  She took my new tiny bedroom and painted it all white, including the wide board floors (which looked a bit like the painted floors above).  It worked, I loved my new room and since then I have had a fascination with painted white wooden floors.  
The exterior of Pamela Pierce's home in Austin, Texas, which graced the pages of Veranda magazine ,shows how a one note color can truly beckon. 
This is another dream kitchen in all white--photo via somuchbetterwithage
This year all-white kitchens have me smitten....
something about the edited color palette, 
the clean lines allowing the food to stay the star!

New York City kitchen renovation 
by Tamara Stephenson Interior Design 
I recently refurbished a small kitchen in New York City, a rental. And, in New York city terminology that is code for small and tight budget, so we kept it simple.  However, we added all-white, subway tile with a dark grout from floor to ceiling, white shaker cabinetry, white quartz counter tops, all new appliances, a stainless farmhouse sink, a new Brizo no-touch faucet, white industrial lighting and a neutral colored
 marble tile floor.


a pop of color with 
Root Cellar Designs table linens and pillows

 my kitchen designs, Fall 2015 New York City
via Tamara Stephenson Interior Design 
Happy December
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara