WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Michael Berman's Impressive Furniture Collection for Theodore Alexander with A Cool, California Vibe


Michael Berman's Home Collection, "Califolio" 
is One Part Relaxed California-Lifestyle,
 Other Part Sophisticated, Sleek Mid-Century Vibe, 
But All Parts Fantastic!
I like the unusual detailing of the The Flint Table
which has a wire brushed oak finish called Sandalwood 
and a metal base in a bronze finish

our tour with Michael in the Theodore Alexander showroom at High Point

While at High Point Spring MarketI was sponsored to travel with the #DesignBloggerstour to visit and write about several showrooms.  I was happy to note Theodore Alexander on the list of sponsors, and their showroom is one of my favorites in the New York Design Center.  We were given private up-close visits of many showrooms to see first-hand the newest collections during Spring Market. But, what I loved about the tour with Esteem Media is they gave us free reign to choose which collections or designs we liked the most to write about.  After a few weeks to process all I saw, one collection has stayed with me the most.  I am particularly drawn to the many upholstered and case good pieces of Michael Berman's new 75-piece Califolio collection with Theodore Alexander.  Interior designer Berman is quite a talent, and his personal design aesthetic shines through distinctly in this new, unique collection.  I love every piece and although they showcase beautifully together on the showroom floor, each one is uniquely adorned and crafted, making many stand alone signature pieces.  The collection is sophisticated, yet has a relaxed feeling showing modern shapes throughout.  Berman himself gave us a tour of the showroom, so we had the opportunity to speak to him and hear about his passion for putting this stellar collection together. 

At first glance the designs certainly have a coastal appeal, and while the furnishings  offer an everyday casual element, upon closer inspection there is a sophistication to the entire collection that takes it up a notch.  The indoor-outdoor vibe seems to channel a comfortable "Pacific Coast" lifestyle but certainly there is an additional urban edge infused as well.  I particularly enjoy the clean lines, the organic shapes and tailored upholstery with unique finishes and the cool, soothing color palette.  Berman pointed out to us he upholstered many of the pieces with lush textiles for the Spring Market debut to add a summer feeling.  Additionally, his attention to detailing is impressive with custom crafted hardware made for every piece.  Well done Michael Berman, and with summer on the horizon, I have no doubt orders will be flooding in to bring that extra special Califolio feeling to homes everywhere.  
Please follow our hasthags #HPMKT and #DesignBloggersTour.
The Balboa bookcase has a unique, organic shape, and is adorned nicely with 
ultra-suede, oak veneers and a lacquer finish
The Collins Chest is one of my favorites, and I appreciate the clean lines, the solid oak construction in Totem finish, and the round, oversized handles which give it an almost Chinoiserie feel.


Happy Nesting
XO Tamara