WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

RECIPE SHARE: Tamara's Take on Authentic Japanese Sukiyaki

 

MY SUKIYAKI
Because you ask me often, I'm sharing my recipes more on the blog.  Tonight I made my go-to, delicious, fragrant (your home will smell divine), everyday Sukiyaki.  My husband worked in Japan for many years, so we came to love this delicious soup. You can swap out ingredients for  items in your fridge, but here's the basics.  I do add my own twist with adding ginger, garlic and a pat of butter to each noodle bowl for a touch of fat (that is not authentically Japanese). 

What is Sukiyaki?  
It's a traditional soup made in Japan.  First there is an aromatic soy-based sauce that is created then you cook the ingredients in the sauce, finishing off with the beef and tofu last (as they only need two minutes).  At Japanese restaurants, you sit at tables where the sauce is created by the chef then cooks the rest of the ingredients table-side (in the center of the table) in the sauce or in some places, they create the sauce, and you cook the ingredients yourself with large wooden chopsticks.  It's a fun experience and a great way to eat fresh vegetables and meats and noodles together.  Living in New York City, we have access to a few fantastic Japanese grocery stores but most of these items can be purchased at most grocery store.  The beef however, needs to be sliced wafer thin.  If I cannot get to the Japanese store and buy their raw, but frozen beef pre-sliced and ready to cook, I freeze top round and while partially frozen I hand slice it wafer thin. (be careful with that knife!).  
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara