THE LIGHT MOMENT-- My Favorite Lights Heading into 2023
My Seven Favorite
With my design clients, I often convince them to explore unique and quality lighting because it's one way (even with a small budget) to elevate and transform a home both stylistically and practically. We all know that for a room to function well, it needs a good mix of lighting (a combination of overhead with proper dimmers, table and standing lamps and wall/sconce lamps) to bring the right varying moods required throughout the day.
However, the aesthetics of those light fixtures sets the architectural and artist tone, and to me, it can be on the same level as art- but, it's both form and function wrapped together. So, I'm almost always on the prowl for something unique and here in this moment, these are my seven favorite lights- these ones that will give you a leg up in design and elevate your home to the next level.
1. OLD WORLD STYLE MADE MODERN- I love myself a good lantern- you know the ones I mean, those charming gas-lit beauties seen all throughout New Orleans, bringing us back to days gone by. And, the Elsinore Medium by Circa Lighting in this chalky white brings a freshness to a vintage look. I'd love to flank these around a fireplace mantel for a rustic yet luxurious feel.
2. COOL KID- Griffith Extra Large Chandelier is literally the sleekest chandelier I've seen in awhile from Amber Lewis for Visual Comfort- I am truly chomping at the bit to use this in a vaulted double height dining room soon. It's layers of modernity with a nod to classic lighting in the antique brass with saddle leather trim
3. MADMEN-ESQUE- I'm obsessed with Arhaus' Myles Martini Floor Lamp because this lil' tray is the perfect place to rest your Martini (or water) and the sleek profile feels midcentury in style, and will work in many varying spaces- don't you think? I love the polished brass finish too.
4. SLEEK & SIMPLE (and affordable) I love the Gantry Pivot Sconce in Spruce color by Schoolhouse Lighting. This swing-arm plug in light makes any corner an instant reading nook to curl up in your favorite chair and read a good book (or, scroll through your favorite TikToks). I utilized green one recently in a dorm room and my client loves it!
5. WHIMSY & FUN- I've written about Stray Dog Designs before and I just love how they bring a curated whimsy to a space. The mustard-colored Arlo Chandelier doesn't take itself too seriously and can make any room (formal or casual) feel special.
6. & 7. CHUNKY & TEXTURED TABLE LAMPS by McGee & Co.- I must admit, it's difficult to choose just one. I'll take a wicker, a rattan, a chunky ceramic and wood one too from this talented designer, Shee McGee of Studio McGee (you can buy even less expensive versions of her lamp styles at Target too). Her style is so on point with the design aesthetic now, and it highlights shape and texture in mostly neutral tones. Heck, I love all the table lamps over at McGee and they hold the perfect balance of rustic and sophisticated style.