WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

My Fascination With Doors Continues into the year 2023


Doors Are Windows
 Of A Home's Soul 
Finding beautiful doors in Paris (in the rain).  My friend took this photo of me approaching my favorite pale blue door

 It seems that each year heading into the new year, I've started a post about doors.  There's just something I keep coming back to.  Each time I travel, I take at least a few hours to study the architecture and of course the doors, which forget about windows, doors are like the soul of a home.  You learn a lot about a home by the detailing, color, knockers and style of a door.  So, let's get with some door beauties...

I sleuthed out decorator and award-winning writer, Edith Wharton's home away from home while she lived in Paris. During her lifetime as a born and raised New Yorker, she did live in Paris for a few years, and this was her home, and look at the gorgeous prussian-blue-green door- that color haunts me (in a good way)
my own door in East Hampton, New York
Red is a powerful color for a door and many believe 
it brings fortune to a home
another red beauty I found on my morning walk 
on the Upper East Side, NYC
a gorgeous detailed door on the 
Upper East Side, NYC
at the Cooper Hewitt Museum
yellow doors always surprise me and although that wouldn't be a color I'd choose, they are striking.
a beautiful yellow door I spotted in
Charleston Historic District, SC
a rich, historic door in Venice as the Countess greets us at her villa, welcoming us in for a tour- the patina'd wood and incredible knocker (close up below) was a glimpse of what was inside.
quite the knocker on this Venetian door

Happy Nesting
XO Tamara