WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

How to Bring in A Bit of Hippie Chic Interior Design Style Into Your Home


Hippie Chic Design 
Is The Cool Kid In Town:
Five Tips To Bring This Aesthetic Into Your Home

please see my Hippie Chic Pin Board for sourcing

Hippie Chic is a design style I have coined and it's been on my radar for years now.  Along with the Maximalist design style of layering and adding more not less to home design, Hippie Chic adds onto that sentiment with the idea of combining eclectic groupings of art, artisan made and organic decorative arts, and unusual pairing of colors and all with a modern nod to the 1970s. When designing a home, I long to bring in the personality of the client's passions for a home in a way that feels less "decorated" and more settled in over the years by curating finds from travel, family heirlooms and all the while emphasizing personal passions. 


some root cellar designs in the mix with Lori Deeds for Celerie Kemble who incorporates a bit of Hippie Chic with Palm Beach Preppy Styles

To me, the 1970's was a genius era for fashion, music and home design.  This decade put us on a path towards greatness in all things design, and we collectively keep reaching back to to the 70's as a way to dispensed with cookie cutter design.   During this decade, we learned to value "outside the box" and not settle for living with the formulaic anymore but, rather, put an emphasis on the unique and artisan-made.  Hippie Chic taps into the Maximalism design aesthetic which is a refreshing departure from the all white and clean and overly edited homes.  Hippie Chic is not just layers on layers but more about artisan-made and a mix of international designs. I love the international flavor from sometimes historic heritage brands that are brought into the mix with fabric patterns like Batiks, Paisley then add unique art pairing, interesting layering of wallpaper, and lush upholstery. So, to me, Hippie Chic is the wave of the future- the next place we are going to settle into and discover and explore.

I grew up in a Hippie Chic home, and this is one genre I can speak about with great authority.  My mother was an artist, designer and gardener (an OG hippie) and loved vintage furniture.  As a single mom with three kids and working three jobs to make ends meet, she loved a beautiful home but she was on a tight budget so she learned to create it in a unique way. She had a fascination with travel and mixed pieces with American antiques from different eras and then peppering in hand painted rattan and vintage furniture.  It was nothing short of genius, and my mom's homes and gardens were infamous amongst her friends. Check out five effortless tips to incorporate a Hippie Chic vibe into your home.  '

Happy Nesting, 
XO Tamara
1. create walls of art with an eclectic mix of framed textiles, original paintings, illustrations, artifacts and even maps to add dimension.

my beach house living room
 with a combination of textiles from my company root cellar designs

2. Layer fabric and wallpaper patterns together.  I like to mix scales through upholstery, window treatments, pillows and wallpaper.  This is an effective way to bring personality into a room.  I start with a large scale (above the Batik) then a medium (the Lobster) then a small to medium geometric (the center pillows) 

left: root cellar designs Paisley Moderne 
upholstery-weight linen cotton print
right: a bohemian vibe with Fall table linens and setting against root cellar designs' bird on a wire wallpaper 
3. I like to add in at least one piece of painted furniture into a room
and it adds a sense of whimsy and a place for your eyes to settle.  Painting furniture is a fairly easy DIY project as well. 
4. A strong Hippie Chic design tool is to mix unusual color combinations, and this can bring a sense of wonder and joy to a home. 
5. I always add a bit of natural textures and materials in the way of rattan or wicker to ground all the color and layering of textiles.