WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Nest by Tamara's Top Finds and Highlights From The Brafa Art Fair 2019 in Brussels


A Few Of Our Favorite Finds At 
in Brussels, Belgium
Walking through the BRAFA Art Fair was an inundation of art and design.  There was a unique combination of mid-century design and art, old world master art collections, vintage and antique porcelain, jewelry and contemporary art. It took me two days at home to mull it all over, and here I'm choosing a few of my favorite galleries and artists. The show is open for a few more days until February 3.  I encourage you to put this art fair on your list for next year. I have never been to quite an astonishing art fair, an eclectic collection of art.  Additionally, to see it put together in fully designed spaces, was a unique way to bring the art to light.  Until next year, here are our favorites from the 2019 show...Follow my BRAFA pin board to see more of my finds. 

When walking the fair I came upon this unique porcelain and lacquered wood cabinet, and found out it is a limited edition from Nipa Doshi and Jonathan Levian for master Le Corbusier, I was smitten.  They are part of the Sèvres, which is a center of artistic collaboration to celebrate artists. 

 Patrick De Brock Gallery features both established and emerging international artists. Julian Opie (born 1958) renders his subjects with minimal detail in thick black outlines then filled in with color.  I instantly loved the Lucia 1 made in 2017, an acrylic pane  The piece almost feels lit up from inside and I was curious about how it was made.  It hangs alone in the hall, and it certainly is a shining star in the gallery.
At Maison Rapin I was struck by the Safari Sofa made with fiberglass and leopard upholstery by Archizoom Associati- Italy, 1968. This was one of my favorite booths at BRAFA.  With two galleries in Paris, they bring their A-game to the show combining modern day artists and furniture makers with 20th and 21st-century art, furniture and lighting.  Modern artisan Kam Tin's gem-encrusted furniture and other eclectic pieces were on display.  The Safari Sofa is unique and would make a perfect addition to salon or atelier.  
Le Coq bleu by Marc Chagall 1960 Oil and Sawdux on Pavatex at Galerie Tamenaga- Chagall has long been one of my favorite artists.  His ethereal art brings me joy with its dream-like scenes.  Le Coqu bleu takes me to another world with the cerulean wonder.  It was exciting to see it up close and in person. There are many old world beauties on display. Temenega gallery originated in Tokyo with galleries now in Paris as well, and they showcase some of my favorite art from artists Cezanne, Renoir, Redon, Picasso and Chagall.
Vintage an antique cane and rattan is one of my favorite decorative arts.  Three Seat Jacaranda wood and cane Joaquim Tenreiro manufactured by Langbach & Tenreiro, 1958 and shown at Galerie Le Beau-Gokelaere, which is dedicated to the great designers of the 20th century primarily by Scandinavian, American, French, Brazilian and Italian designers.    

a photo I took of the settee alongside a moving sculpture 
(the cut melon looking bronze and the pop art too)

Pretty much everything in the Axel Vervoordt Stand
photo via Brafa Art Fair credit, Jan Liegeois
 Vervoordt has a unique way of combining contemporary art, archeology, furniture, oriental art and "objects d' art" between the 17th and 20th century, yet in a manner that feels quite contemporary. 
Shizen '90, Shaku Mineral pigment/mixed media 
on canvas
Head of a Julio-Claudian adolescent Roman Empire, circa 10 BC-40 AD made of white marble and with a patina 
 Happy Nesting
XO Tamara