WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Recipe Share: Mango, Coconut Cream Cake, A Quick and Easy Version


Coconut Mango Cake:
this recipe melds two of my favorite flavors to make one 
delicious cake!  I was inspired by SaraBeth Kitchens' version, then  
 took a few strategic shortcuts to make my own delicious cake!
a recipe share of my
homemade (sort of) Coconut Mango Cake!



We Nibbled On Hor's Doeurves 
Then Indulged In This Coconut Mango Cake
I love to cook!  
You may already know that if you have stopped by for my #UnderThePergola dinner recipes or even my #WeekdaySupper posts.  However, I must admit I am not the most fastidious baker.  Because I am busy, I often opt for short cuts when baking which allows me to dabble a bit.  I envy those who bake from scratch the exquisite cake or bread every time.  In a perfect world, I like to hone my baking skills.  Now, cut to this Christmas holiday.  I had this idea to make a very special cake.  I combed through dozens of recipes and settled on Sarabeth Kitchen's amazing cookbook, and settled on a coconut mango cake recipe.  After pining away over this delightful cookbook, then contemplating the pile of presents waiting for me to wrap, a tree that needed trimming and a hungry household of guests, I opted to doctor up an all-butter Dunkin Hines Vanilla box cake I had in the pantry to try and pull off something similar.  I would like to bake this cake from scratch soon just as the cookbook laid out step by step, but Christmas was waiting.  My cake was actually delicious, and everyone raved.  The frosting was the most work, but, again, I changed it up to make it less laborious, but quite frankly, it was the best frosting I have ever made.  Because it is one part meringue, other all butter, it is light and luxuriously buttery at the same time.  When I added the mango and vanilla and the coconut, it was extra special.  Honestly it would have been great without the coconut if you're not a fan of coconut because the added mango to both the cake and the frosting made it fragrant and delicious enough.
Happy New Year
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara
Make the frosting first, then let it firm up and cool in the refrigerator for 20 minutes then let it stand at room temperature for another 10 minutes before you frost the cake.
Frosting:
3 egg whites
1/2 cup extra fine sugar
2 sticks butter (unsalted cut into TBS and cold)
vanilla
pulverized mango (1/4 cup)
dash of vanilla
1. separate the egg whites
2. In a double boiler, boil a cup of water then put it on very low simmer for a few minutes.  On the top pan over the water (but not touching the water) put the egg whites and sugar and salt in the pan beating with a whisk until sugar is completely melted and mixture is a bit frothy.  Be careful not to overcook.
3. Beat the combination in a mixer on medium then gradually to high whipping them for 5-7 minutes until the mixture is foamy and has peeks.
4. Add the butter piece by piece with the mixer on medium (and after switching to a paddle attachment) until all the butter is added then slowly add the mango and vanilla.  When all is combined and mixture is smooth and firm with peeks, refrigerate for 20 minutes.

1 bag of shredded coconut

follow the direction on your box cake with a couple of changes...
Cake: 
Dunkin Hines All Butter Vanilla Cake
Add half the water to the recipe it calls for and replace the other half with
(1/2 fresh squeezed mango and 1/2 orange juice)
2 TBS orange zest 
1. Follow the instructions exactly but cut the amount of water the recipe calls for in half and replace the other half with half orange juice and half fresh squeezed mango juice (I pulverized in my food processor from a fresh mango).
2. Add the equivalent of 2 TBS of the zest of an orange to the cake mix.
3. Bake the cake in one round tin.
  3. Let it cool, and then take it out to let it rest on a footed cake plate.
4. frost with a rubber spatula while turning the plate slowly.  cover completely and lightly press/pat the coconut onto the frosting until covered.  Refrigerate for a 1/2 hour then serve.
Happy New Year
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara
other holiday dishes we made, 
recipes here soon...
 our annual Pierogie making extravaganza