WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

FOOD & ART POST: Toast Art by Tokyo Artist Sasamana


Art as Food 
With Art Toast by Artist 
Today's theme is the Japanese "Cloisonne-pattern".
The circle represents happiness. The pattern that leads to eternity is considered to be an auspicious thing.  I adjusted the amount of mayonnaise and cod roe to create a gradation. Edible gold leaf for one point. cod roe and bread are a very tasty combination."
I'll never forget a conversation I had in design/art school at Parsons School of Design with a fellow student who adamantly claimed that art and cooking could never be deemed art, and it was clearly only a "craft".  This artist was entrenched in her ideology of what art encompassed, however, I truly believe that art is in the eye of the creator.  We humans have created art out of many medium, and now years later, many agree chefs are artists creating their edible art everyday.  But, pandemics and being "quarantined" have a unique way of encouraging us all to think even more outside the box.  Scrolling through Instagram, I came across this talented artist who whips up toast art...yes, toast art. These are unique works of art she clearly painstakingly and meticulously designs, and I love it!  

Check out this talented artist's Instagram feed where she works in many mediums (from nail art to canvas), yet her toast art is going viral and making us re-think art yet again and again. Following her daily toast is fun and inspiring and only one of the feeds that keeps me laughing and light-hearted through these crazy times when it feels like the world is melting down.  Don't forget to read her descriptions on the history behind each toast, and how she creates them. I will almost always opt for inspiration from artists who help us re-think our perspective, even of toast.  Let us all eat toast, but first appreciate the art of it!
Today, toast like the German artist Hartmut Böhm (1938- )
He is German artists in the field of Constructive and Concrete Art.
His concept is called "Progressionen gegen Unendlich" [progression towards infinity]. I think it's an interesting work where the margins and exhibition space seem to play a leading role. What I used was buckwheat sprouts. The color of the stems and the luster of the surface of the stems make me swoon.

Happy Nesting
XO Tamara