WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

FOODIE POST: The Best Vegetable Dish Recipes, Perfect For Fall Entertaining At Home


Five Delicious, 
Tried and True 
Take It Up A Notch, Fall Vegetable Recipes To Serve When Entertaining


We have not posted a recipe post in quite some time, yet we've certainly been cooking up a storm over the last several months while quarantined at home.  Honestly, some of the spark for cooking has been squelched as daily cooking for our brood became more utilitarian in the face of the nation dealing with the Corona virus.  Many stores were out of ingredients, and there were long lines at the grocery store.  Due to safety reasons, we only shopped once a week. This was a huge departure from our normal way of cooking at home, shopping the farmer's markets, heading to the local butcher to retain the freshest ingredients. And, we also usually dine out occasionally too with all our cooking at home, but things have certainly changed.  For now, the long lines at the grocery store have dissipated but eating out remains problematic with the exception of Al Fresco dining (at least in New York).
I predict entertaining at home this Fall will be the new "It way to socialize".  Certainly not elaborate, large, dinners with fancy-set tables, but, rather, small, home-cooked dinners as a way to stay safe and bring our special friends over while connecting again.  We need human interaction and "breaking bread" in our homes is a great way to start back again. As we slowly get back to work, and the weather gets chilly, I'm sharing these recipes which I promise will impress your guests yet it's simple cooking.  I plan to use this season to "nest" and make it the coziest Autumn every.  A time of healing.  I'll tweak my interior design, put a log on the fireplace, and add some simple recipes to my collections.  

My first piece of advice when entertaining and cooking is to use the plethora of fresh, harvested vegetables grown locally near us.  Roasting these colorful, delicious vegetables is a great way to prepare them, and adding fresh salads together is another way to combine vegetables together. These recipes give you some secret ingredients to mix together while seeming like the perfect chef.  Let these delicious medley of vegetables speak for themselves and serve them as the main course or with a simple roasted chicken and save the laborious hours of cooking for another time.  We put our cooking practice skills to work all summer long after searching the internet for the most interesting recipes.  These are our five top stellar choices narrowed down from our text kitchen.  

Happy Nesting
XO Tamara
by Olive Magazine
These are not your boring cooked carrots. Shop the farmer's market and  pick up the extra long ones and leave the ends on them (I like the yellow, red and orange ones together), and they're extra special.  I've used this recipe on carrots and it's delicious but I also love it on eggplant, and it's equally delicious. For eggplant, I cut the eggplant in quarters lengthwise and leave the skin on them and follow all the other instructions.   
by How Sweet Eats 
is a meal by itself.  Very Greek in feel and we served it with simple grilled chicken skewers and a fresh, Heirloom tomato salad, and it was the perfect in-between summer and fall Sunday dinner.  
by Family Style Food blog 
I realize as I write this post that Tahini seems to be a common thread in some of these recipes.  I've made many Caesar Salads yet most are a bit hum-drum but this one takes it up a notch easily with the olive oil breadcrumbs (which are easily made from a couple slices of day-old baguette) and the fragrant, rich Tahini.  
Your guests will rave about this one. 
by Natalie Paramore blog 
combines three of my favorite ingredients- Brussel Sprouts, lemon and parmigiana cheese with a good pinch of sea salt.  To me, Brussel Sprouts are best when roasted to a caramelized brown color and crispy so I made this recipe but cooked them a big more brown (I just leave them on broil in the oven for a minute or two - but watch them extra closely so they do not burn).  It works perfectly with a delicious pasta with garlic and oil, then call it a meal.  You can make it an hour before guests arrive, then serve them room temperature.
from the Food Network 
is easy to make and has extra flavor. I like to serve Shishito Peppers served with a cheese board or appetizer when guest first arrive, and you can make them and serve them hot.   Similar to Brussel Sprouts, I like them browned and they change flavor with the blistering to a smoky, almost nutty flavor.  You can make them here with the browned butter and lemon and honestly, you don't even need the parmigiana but it's certainly "icing on the cake"