WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

My Summer 2023 Carry- The Hermes Fourre Tiny Orange Tote

My Summer Carry- 
the Unassuming, 
{You Know If You Know} 
Cotton Canvas Beauty,
Hermes Fourré Tote 
Hermes Fourré Tote
I love that Fourré in French means 
"a thicket of trees growing closely together" 
You may remember, I visited the Hermes Atelier just outside of Paris a few years ago on a sponsored trip by the French consortium, Comite Colbert celebrating and supporting French luxury-made brands.  I learned much about these beautiful, handmade bags and my big takeaway is how much care and artisan work goes into making each handbag-  I saw up-close the Birkin (inspired by Jane Birkin) made inside out and yes, hand-stitched by one artisan from the inside then turned right side after all that work is complete to finish with the outside complete.  My love for all things Hermes was cemented. Before that, I had long-loved the Kelly bag (Grace Kelly as the muse) and then I grew to love the Evelyne (inspired by the equestrian feed bag) and other bags as well.  As a textile designer, I appreciate the detail of the scarves, and well, I admit I do love all-things Hermes.  Unlike other fashion brands, they stay close to their beginnings. However, my days of hanging a heavy bag from one arm are mostly over, and these days I look for utilitarian, cute and quirky bags to carry. For summer, I mostly like to carry straw totes but I do have my eye on a tan Evelyne at some point (but that's another story). 
My visit to the Hermes Atelier
The Hermes Fourre Tote caught my eye with it's utilitarian feel in a soft, yet sturdy cotton, canvas.  My daughter gifted me a tiny orange one this Mother's Day- it's vintage and just the right size that it can pass as a handbag and I can carry it everyday through summer from garden parties to the market. 
Hermes ads back in the day via Pinterest
I'm not going to regale you with all the incredibly rich details of the Hermes brand, the family, the history and the bags because chances are you already know much about them.  But, I will tell you why I love them as a fashion brand.  I love their roots which were grown from the world of horses- first as bridle makers then saddle makers dating back to the early 1800s hand made in their headquarters at 24, Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré in Paris. To me, this brand although it hails from a luxury point of view, is about quality, classic and with an almost-utilitarian design point of view.  I love all things equestrian, so it's a match made in heaven for me.  And, there is something unique about the horse-lover world in that the quality of the tack is deeply entrenched in the collective love for the animal and the sport of hunting and jumping- from the saddle and other tack, a horse lover has a lot of well-made stuff.  Therefore, quality trumps flashy fashion almost always with Hermes. Both the rider and the horse are beautifully turned out at competitions.  Before they demonstrate their shared athleticism, they are often judged on their pairing as well. So, the accoutrement is important. 
My equestrian daughter
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara

my Hermes stories