WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Shedding a lil' light during hurricane "Sandy" in NYC: let me offer some great lighting sources!

Writing about the value of great lighting 
as I sit typing on my battery-operated computer by candlelight during the worst storm in 100 years in New York City!  There is nothing worst in a room then 
poor lighting to ruin the mood, and hence the design.  Lighting can be one of the most important functions to the interior design of a home, and the right combination of overhead on dimmers, table lamps and the like can transform a space both aesthetically and functionally. 
The right lamp can change an environment- this room is already designed with lots of detail, from rich green color to a variety of fabrics, yet this lamp makes the space pop. I just finished up a year-long travel to design events from London's Decorex to High Point Market.  I came back to my studio more versed on what is the latest and greatest in lighting.  These are the lights I return to over and over again for clients because their style and functions provides just the right amount of style and form. The perfect lamp, sconce or overhead can add that unexpected sense of whimsy, glamour or utilitarianism when needed.  Our favorites on the Market...
Ro Sham Beaux
(which means rock, paper, scissors - love it!)
The Malibu offers many different options with three finishes, bead color options and styles

love it that they use recycled glass from bottles in this version
 interesting detailing in refreshing natural materials
 with three finish options from gold to natural or silver tone

love the Jackie O with the black shade option. 
Arteriors
The company continues to impress with new product launches and collaborations with designers.  The new larger space they're occupying at 200 Lexington in NYC showcases their varied designs.  At High Point Market this year they showcased many interesting lighting designs.  I recently purchased these three pendant lights for a client's loft in SOHO and their large scale works well in the space.

While at Market, I met Barry Dixon and saw sneak peeks of his new line with Arteriors.
John Rosselli
I've been a fan of John Rosselli and his wife Bunny Williams for over two decades.  He continues to be one of my favorites when I'm looking for unique, one of a kind lighting.  Sometimes the budget needs to be substantial, but when looking for interesting chandelier or sconces I hit one of his shops.  For years I attended his annual sample sale in Harlem, and I've picked up some real gems for a song.
 this antique sconce graces 
my dining room walls in East Hampton 


add a little modern bling with glamorous lights from this English company. Vaughan is one of my very favorite lighting companies.  You can rely on the quality, and I like that they keep much in stock for quick buying options.  This particular light was featured in Robert Passal's room this summer at the Hampton Designer Showhouse.
the Vaughn light adds just the right amount of bling!
  Vaughan's Seville chandelier 
The Zurich offered in three finishes with an interior shade option to boot.  I recently purchased this for a client's apartment in the chrome option for a modern appeal to this pre-war apartment. 
The Sorbonne light at the Tatler Restauran,  Vaughan blog 
The Verbier Chandelier

for interesting drum lights and sconces I often choose
Zia Priven


 Zia Priven offers state of the art lighting with a little edge.  
I bought this light for a client's teen bedroom
they have several drum style hanging lights with small detailing that makes them a bit more special than other drum lights, including this one, the Emma with a glass drop detail, which worked well with the other designs in the space.
Zia priven offers many shade color and texture options 
as well as interesting glass and metal pulls
I also like Zia Priven's Troy chandelier

At Holiday House opening in NYC, met designer Janet Rice in her designed space


Janet's small hallway was illuminated with the sparkly designs she chose from Gracie wallpaper to showcasing her brand new line of lighting.  These table lamps are gorgeous and I like how she utilized crystal and natural materials together in the space.  You can buy her lights on her website.

Remains
with two locations in NYC plus online, 
Remains is one my favorite design centers for lighting. 
I recently spec'd this antique pendant light from Remains
for a client's banquette in their NYC kitchen

The Veronique collection
 is one my favorite sconce and swing arm lamp options 
because it has both a modern and traditional sensibility.  
The asymmetrical option is unique. 
I can count on Remains for offering both 
antique lighting plus their extensive collection of 
pendant, flush and sconce lighting
I hope you stay safe and dry during 
the storm,but maybe enjoy the down time to catch up on your
reading. 
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara