WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

New England Nesting Views Part I: The Old Whaling Church in Edgartown - a historically relevant building on Martha's Vineyard

Today is our 20th year wedding anniversary, 
and I am over the moon to spend this week 
with my husband and two children in a place 
very dear to my heart, 
the Island of Martha's Vineyard. 
The Old Whaling Church in Edgartown
was built by whaling captains in 1843. 
On the property is also the Dr. Daniel Fisher House, and downstairs of the church is The Baylies Room. The Vineyard has been one of my favorite places on earth since I was a young girl.  The flavors of the island are varied from bohemian, Victorian to rooted in Yankee New England history.  
photography by gabby and miles stephenson
Unlike its sister island Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard is quirky and eclectic with a variety of cultural influences. When my husband proposed to me on Menemsha beach, we decided to wed on the island we both love and cherish.  We tied the knot in one of the most historic churches and examples of Greek Revivial in New England
The beautiful structure sits at the end of an old fashioned street (and just by chance happens to be called Main Street) in the nautically-inspired town of Edgartown. 

I care deeply about architectural and neighborhood restoration.  In our country New Englanders have set the tone for valuing history by carefully preserving their landmarks, and this is plain to see when traveling through the coastal areas of many New England towns and islands.  The Martha's Vineyard Preservation Trust acquires and preserves the endangered historic landmarks of the island.  Since 1975, they have been working hard to restore many buildings and institutions. Many of these irreplaceable historic buildings were run down and some nearly demolished when the Martha's Vineyard Preservation Trust undertook their care. 

 we were married 20 years ago this week in this beautiful Greek Revival Church and just like this scene above we greeted our guests after the service under these beautiful maple trees

The Old Whaling church is a study in good bones and design.  The design sensibilities have stood the test of time and still seem timeless today, even modern.  The large windows, booming pillars and expansive interiors feel like modern architecture.  I knew instantly I wanted to be married to Randy while walking down the aisle of this church, which is steeped in tradition.  I longed to cement our vows here, in a place we could take our children to many years later.

a card our kid's made for us on our 18th year anniversary -
outside the church in 1992
twenty years later on Menemsha beach...
stop back for more architectural views of the Vineyard, plus a fabulous inn that makes you feel like home.
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara!