WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

My 2017 Color & Design Trend Predictions for the Home Market


How Did I Determine These 
Five Color & Design Trends 
Influencing the Interior Design World in 2017?
From two weeks of travel through Europe while visiting over three design-industry trade shows, several book signings, art gallery openings, design pop-up shops and more similar events, I gleaned the most prevalent, innovative design sources, ideologies and movements.  I am happy to introduce this slideshow, which showcases five color and design trends. I think we will be noting these five trends in our home market in the months and years to come.  I created this slideshow and shared it on February 6, 2017 while giving a color and design trend talk to over fifty design-industry professionals on opening day of the NYNOW interior design show at Jacob Javits Center in New York City.  I was invited to present by NYNOW, and the event was hosted by IFDA.
additional photo credits in the slideshow--Phoebe Howard project,  Lucas Allen; Stephan Jones project, David Duncan Livingston; shop, Stacey Bewkes; select Pierre Frey photos; Saxon Henry; India photos, Su Hilty; Cuba photos, Robert Passal; Ode to Color photos, Lori Weitzner; Master Class photos, Carl Dellatore; Lisa Mende interior design photos, published in Traditional Home magazine


above; three days at Heimtextil in Frankfurt, Germany
My travels took me first to Heimtextil in Frankfurt, Germany, one of the largest and certainly one of the most impressive design trade shows in the world.  From emerging artisans to world-class brands, Heimtextil pulls talents from all corners of the globe who come together to showcase products and technology in textiles and wall coveringsThe most fascinating part of Heimtextil was the concerted efforts that went into the trend forecasting section, Theme Park.  Under the management of Exalis, experts from the French trend agency, Carlin International offered up various trends in themed worlds at the show.  This year's motto was "Explorations" and visitors were taken on a journey, a rich discovery of the senses.  I was impressed with the innovative approach and materials.   

After Heimtextil, we traveled to Paris to take in Deco-off, which is a variety of Parisian luxury ateliers debuting their new collections.  This show takes place throughout the historic streets of Paris with lanterns lining the avenues in the latest fabrics along the rue du mail, it is a beauty to behold.  We popped in an out of appointments to meet with the fabric houses and see up-close the new collections they will bring to Market in Europe, and in many cases here in the States.  We also visited Maison Objet, which a world-class interior design show located about 45 minutes outside of Paris.  Maison Objet pulls both high-end luxury design vendors as well as emerging brands together from all over the world.  

From these rich experiences, I gleaned five design trends, all I predict will take the design world by storm in the coming months and years to come. I like to call these movements, rather than trends as they will have long influences over the years.  Many of them have been around for awhile but are growing in influence and changing slightly.  I chose poetic wording for the titles in order to take some meaning from the name, but the slideshow explains them in detail while showing products I found on this trip, as well as designers who demonstrate these ideas in their works. 
Additionally, see below, a look at unique, gorgeous up-close images of textiles, wall coverings and rugs I photographed while visiting Heimtextil in Frankfurt, Germany! These  demonstrate the trends I outline in the slideshow.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara