WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Six Things We Love About the Italian Lifestyle, Home & Garden and How We Bring That Home

HOW TO BRING A LITTLE 
BIT OF ITALY HOME
photos in this post from trips I've taken 
to Florence, Chianti, Venice, Amalfi Coast and Rome

check out my Italian Living Board

Over the years I've traveled to many parts of this beautiful country and each time I  am surprised at the varying topography, food and even the traditions throughout the regions. However, there are several things that remain a constant across Italy- their daily relaxed yet elegant way of decorating, entertaining and living in their home and garden.  Secondly, how they relish in the small moments placing an emphasis on history and craftsmanship, and, finally, not sweating the small stuff. Check out my favorite six things to incorporate in my home after visiting Italy. 

1. Smitten With Their Beautiful Doors

my personal tour of this Venetian Villa 
If the doors are the soul of a home then Italian doors are certainly old souls.  Throughout Italy there are many beautiful doors that showcase lovely craftsmanship and accoutrements showing an attention to detail, and these doors age like fine wine 
2. Love For Simple, yet delicious food emphasizing fresh ingredients
Italy is one of the only places where I travel that I never tire of the cuisine.  On the contrary, upon my return I am inspired to continue to eat the same way.  Of course, light and delicious pasta, risotto and meats utilizing fresh, garden ingredients and lots of drinkable wine are a fantastic way to live.  But, let's acknowledge, it starts with farm fresh cheeses, olive oils, ripe tomatoes and basil plucked from the garden, and with that you can eat richly every day. 
3. An Appreciation for the Apertivo Tradition 
of sharing a cocktail and snacks before a meal is such a way to appreciate your surroundings and show gratitude for living in the moment.
apertivo literally means to "open", 
and it's an Italian tradition of enjoying drinks and snacks 
before a meal to stimulate the appetite. 
4. A Decided Emphasis on Classic Design and Architecture   
With the rich history of Italian design, it's just a part of their lifestyle to walk amongst ancient relics, yet they also love clean, modern designs so it's typical for the old and new to live together harmoniously.  Italian design is comfortable and eclectic mixing up traditional old-world sculptures, art and architecture with clean lines and sometimes modern lighting, and I aspire to this approach of living and designing.



5. An Italian Table and Tableware, 
a study in juxtaposition of Simple and Detailed 
The plates and tableware of Italy are gorgeous works of art- from the antique hand made to the crafted artisan made such as Ginori (below).  You'll often see these detailed tableware set out on a beautiful, bare wooden table, no tablecloth and in a simple, rustic kitchen. That's the genius of an Italian table. 

6. The Ease of Indoor/Outdoor Living 
In an Italian Home, there is often a melding from the indoor to the outdoor spaces
where it's sometimes hard to decipher what is the outside and what is the inside- 
I love that!   

Happy Nesting
XO Tamara