WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

The stylish Peacock at the William Hotel showcases great design. Plus, sneak peeks of the Farrow & Ball wallpaper for my Design On A Dime project.


The warm, British feel of the William Hotel in New York City harkens to my favorite city of London.  Today I enjoyed a proper English breakfast at their newly opened restaurant, The Peacock, while chatting with designers, authors, press and the effusive Farrow & Ball team.  The restaurant's design is gorgeous and traditional with crystal chandeliers, a lovely gallery wall of interesting art, and plenty of Farrow & Ball wallpaper and paint to keep you drooling. 

 The hotel has used Farrow & Ball paper exclusively on the walls.  Since I am a fan of the company, it's wonderful to see the colors and papers woven into this project with a historic, yet fresh approach. 
 these four photos courtesy of Eater.com
The Peacock, and it's cozy cousin downstairs in the tavern, The Shakespeare adds to the hotel's charm.  Set in the heart of midtown, you feel like you've been transported to Piccadilly Square.  The Shakespeare seems a great spot to bring out of town friends for a pint of beer before dinner. 

With an ambiance that feels more like a private home rather than a hotel, The William is a charming alternative to the uber hotels in the area.  Created by Yves Jadot and Jason Hicks, who are also the brains behind the Jones Wood Foundry on the Upper East Side, the hotel is not only charming but chic.  Judging from the delicious breakfast, Robert Aikens was a wise choice as the chef for the restaurant.  
Whenever I spend time with the Farrow & Ball folks I learn more about their paints and papers, as well as the thought, care and considerations that go into their products and the projects they get involved with.  Even down to how they make their own quality paint brushes, there is a fastidious thought to history, quality and how it fits together in a modern home.  
On a personal note:
I came away from the breakfast 
having met and chatted with the lively 
and talented author of the Farrow & Ball 
new coffee table book, Decorating with Colour 
(you may remember I reviewed the book 
this past December during the holiday season).  
Ros Byam Shaw inspires great design 
while profiling some of Europe's 
most spectacular homes 
where Farrow & Ball paint and wallpaper 
have been highlighted.  
She gave me my very own signed copy, 
and I plan to add the book to my  collection 
of items to sell in my 
dining room design for Design On A Dime April 24 

F&B brought one of my favorite patterns and colors from their archives for my project and generously donated it along with a pretty green paint color, Folly green for my dining room at Design On A Dime this April 24 at Chelsea's Metropolitan Pavilion.  Here's a sneak peek of the stunning Peony wallpaper in an unusual blue and silver combination.  I hope you will stop by on April 24 to see the finished project!
 Here is a collage of the Farrow & Ball 
wallpaper with paint color together plus 
fabric swatches of donated fabrics 
from Duralee's new collection from design duo, 
Tilton Fenwick
Pillows and napkins are in the works 
with these gorgeous fabrics.  
Please stop back soon for a profile 
about this stunning new collection.
In addition to papering the walls 
with the peony pattern, 
I framed one of Farrow & Ball's 
wallpaper collection recently launched, 
with nods to an English sea plant, Samphire.  
I decoupaged reproduction antique shell prints f
rom Ernst Haeckel 
onto the paper, then framed them 
to hang on the room's gallery wall.

Happy Nesting 
XO Tamara