WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Countdown to Christmas: Day 23 thoughts on my holiday table: interesting color combination, plus vintage lithopane collections out for the occasion...

 our sugared pink church


It's two days until Christmas -- 
time for me to pull out the antique silver, polish it up, and think about our Christmas dinner and table.
 Today I hope to inspire making a beautiful table for our celebration. I like to use unusual colors, and this year I added pink and cranberry colors to the mix.   

The time is now to pull out your unique collections 
and mix the best china
with the quirky items
you have squired away. 

I say be creative with your holiday table,
and don't be afraid to take it a little over the top --
it's sugarplums and fairies for goodness sakes...
The holidays are a perfect time to bring out my vintage collection of tea pots and cups. I love my Lithopane collection, which are from the World War II era -- with a surprise hologram of a Geisha at the bottom of cup you finish  your last sip with a lovely vision. I like that the cups are small enough for a bit of tea after dinner. I've created quite a collection over the years and curated my sets all over the country from South Dakota to Long Island.
What is a lithopane? 

"A lithophane is an etched or molded artwork in thin very translucent porcelain that can only be seen clearly when back lit with a light source. It is a design or scene in intaglio that appears "en grisaille" (in gray) tones.  The word "lithophane" derives from Greek "litho", which is from "lithos" which means stone or rock, and "phainein" meaning "to cause to appear" or "to cause to appear suddenly"
-Wikepedia

Those are my table thoughts,
and please stop back tomorrow for details on what I'll be serving
Christmas dinner -- 
a slow-cooking roast, homemade stuffed periogi, a green salad and
topping it all off with rich and delicious English Trifle,
thanks to my dear friend Barbara Mangini
over at My Dog Eared Pages --
there will be recipes to boot.