WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Countown to Christmas - Day 4: Two different, creative ideas for setting your holiday table


My 12 Days of Christmas plates with my Bernidaud Verte plates

Christmas Countdown - Day 4: 
 add a new table linen from unexpected places to your holiday table. 
A new matelasse coverlet or cashmere throw for an updated vintage look...
Our Christmas 2010 table using a Matelasse bed linen as tablecloth
 Don't be afraid to mix it up for your holiday table --  
a matellase table linen, antique blue willow plates and Williams & Sonoma 12-days of Christmas plates all put together for a medley of styles
Last Thanksgiving I found a beautiful king-size matelasse coverlet at HomeGoods on sale for 29.99.  It is a thick quilted material (Ralph Lauren), which adds a richness to my holiday table.  I got the idea from seeing antique matelasse covers on English tables while in London a few years ago.  Sometimes in the sale section of some of these discount stores you can pick up a new addition to your table for a bargain in the bedding department.  The look is rustic, yet sophisticated.  

source: Centsationalgirl. com via Pinteret
Another idea is to use a tartan or cashmere throw 
on your table for a Scottish appeal.
My own holiday table 2012 
Inspired by the tartan throw photo, I found this cashmere throw (also on sale) and added to our antique wooden table in our country cottage.  Although it only covers part of the table it allows the rustic, antique patina'd wood to show through. I used Italian paper napkin rings, Spode plates, antique Kings pattern silver I found at an English flea market, bowls of apples in antique Blue Willow plates and Italian ceramic pitchers from a ceramic factory in Amalfi, Italy. Another fun note:  I had these bamboo chargers and spray painted them gold and with the blue place mat and blue French tray in the center, the setting sparkles. 

Happy Nesting
XO Tamara